* [Caml-list] Encoding open recursion/function overriding/inheritance in modules
@ 2011-06-22  9:57 Mauricio Fernandez
From: Mauricio Fernandez @ 2011-06-22  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm encoding open recursion and inheritance in modules and only came up with
the following, which requires that a number of type equations be added
manually (I'm missing something to express
(functor X : FOO) -> FOO with [all types = X's]).

This encoding supports function redefinition (with access to previous
definition) and, separately, interface extensions --- I haven't found a way to
do both at once (it seems to me that this would require a "row variable" of
sorts to carry extra members in a module).

module type BASE =
sig
  type t

  val make : int -> t
  val f : t -> unit
  val g : t -> unit

  val m : unit -> unit
end

module type TRAIT1 =
sig
  type t
  val h : t -> unit
end

module type TRAIT2 =
sig
  type t
  val i : t -> unit
end

module type BASE_TRAIT1_TRAIT2 =
sig
  include BASE
  include TRAIT1 with type t := t
  include TRAIT2 with type t := t
end

(** "Base classes" take a functor of type [BASE_f] that overrides function
  * definitions. *)
module type BASE_f = functor(X : BASE) -> BASE with type t = X.t

module Base
  (INIT_STATE : sig val n : int end)
  (F : BASE_f) : BASE =
struct

  module rec M : BASE with type t = int =
  struct
    open Printf
    module SELF = F(M)
    type t = int

    let state = ref INIT_STATE.n

    let make n = n
    let f = printf "Base.f: %d\n"
    let g n = printf "Base.g: %d\n" n ; SELF.f n

    let m () = printf "Base.m: state %d\n" !state
  end

  include M
end

module Trait1 =
struct
  module OVERRIDE(SUPER : BASE) = struct end

  module EXTEND(SELF : BASE) =
  struct
    let h t = print_endline "Trait1.h; g"; SELF.g t
  end
end

module Trait2 =
struct
  module OVERRIDE(SUPER : BASE) =
  struct
    let f t = print_endline "Trait2.f"; SUPER.f t
    let g t = print_endline "Trait2.g"; SUPER.g t
  end

  module EXTEND(SELF: sig
                  include BASE
                  include TRAIT1 with type t := t
                end) =
  struct
    let i t = print_endline "Trait2.i; h"; SELF.h t
  end
end

module X(INIT : sig val n : int end) : BASE_TRAIT1_TRAIT2 =
struct
  module OVERRIDEN(B : BASE) =
  struct
    include B
    (* function overriding is stratified, so we can choose which SUPER
     * we give to each trait (we could also pass a SELF recursive module
     * built as done below) *)
    include Trait1.OVERRIDE(B)
    include Trait2.OVERRIDE(B)
  end

  module rec SELF : BASE_TRAIT1_TRAIT2 =
  struct
    module B = Base(INIT)(OVERRIDEN)
    include OVERRIDEN(B)

    include Trait1.EXTEND(SELF)
    include Trait2.EXTEND(SELF)
  end

  include SELF
end

(* it is also possible to compose traits by functorizing the above over a
 * (Base : BASE_f) module *)

let make_x n =
  let module M = X(struct let n = n end) in
    (module M : BASE_TRAIT1_TRAIT2)

let () =
  let module X = (val make_x 10 : BASE_TRAIT1_TRAIT2) in
    X.m ();
    print_newline ();
    X.f (X.make 1);
    print_newline ();
    X.g (X.make 2);
    print_newline ();
    X.h (X.make 3);
    print_newline ();
    X.i (X.make 4)

--
Mauricio Fernandez

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-06-22  9:57 UTC | newest]