* [Caml-list] nonblock socket in Windows
@ 2011-08-31 10:55 Vu Ngoc San
From: Vu Ngoc San @ 2011-08-31 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Hello

I want to have non-blocking sockets for a UDP client/server.  I use
the Unix.set_nonblock which works fine in Linux, but the manual tells
me that in Windows (Win32):

"set_nonblock, clear_nonblock	implemented as dummy functions; use threads
instead of non-blocking I/O"

I would like to avoid threads, and on the other hand there is the
ioctlsocket function in Windows which seems to do it. So why isn't
this implemented in ocaml ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms738573

* Re: [Caml-list] nonblock socket in Windows
@ 2011-08-31 11:05 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2011-08-31 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vu Ngoc San; +Cc: OCaml List

Am Mittwoch, den 31.08.2011, 12:55 +0200 schrieb Vu Ngoc San:
> Hello
>
> I want to have non-blocking sockets for a UDP client/server.  I use
> the Unix.set_nonblock which works fine in Linux, but the manual tells
> me that in Windows (Win32):
>
> "set_nonblock, clear_nonblock	implemented as dummy functions; use threads
> instead of non-blocking I/O"

This is only partially correct. Non-blocking sockets are implemented,
and these functions work in Ocaml. For other types of file descriptors,
Windows doesn't provide non-blocking access.

Gerd

> I would like to avoid threads, and on the other hand there is the
> ioctlsocket function in Windows which seems to do it. So why isn't
> this implemented in ocaml ?
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms738573

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
*** Searching for new projects! Need consulting for system
*** programming in Ocaml? Gerd Stolpmann can help you.

* Re: [Caml-list] nonblock socket in Windows
@ 2011-08-31 12:09   ` Vu Ngoc San
From: Vu Ngoc San @ 2011-08-31 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: OCaml List

that's good news for me, thanks ! I'm going to try.

Maybe the ocaml manual could be updated on this point.

San