* [Caml-list] ocamlbuild circular dependencies
@ 2011-10-26 12:58 Guillaume Yziquel
From: Guillaume Yziquel @ 2011-10-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi.

I have some weird circular dependencies build issue using ocamlbuild.
Something like:

Circular dependencies: "A.cmo" already seen in
  [ "A/C.cmi"; "A.cmo"; "B/D.cmo" ]

I haven't been able to trim it down to a simpler reproducible example.
How are circular dependencies determined and how are dependency
information managed inside the _build/ folder?

More specifically, A and B are module packs (for-pack tag in _tags) and
I do not see a .depends file for the top pack module, so I'd like to
know where this information is kept.

--
     Guillaume Yziquel

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild circular dependencies
@ 2011-10-26 13:22 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2011-10-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume Yziquel; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 02:58:04PM +0200, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have some weird circular dependencies build issue using ocamlbuild.
> Something like:
>
> Circular dependencies: "A.cmo" already seen in
>   [ "A/C.cmi"; "A.cmo"; "B/D.cmo" ]
>
> I haven't been able to trim it down to a simpler reproducible example.
> How are circular dependencies determined and how are dependency
> information managed inside the _build/ folder?
>
> More specifically, A and B are module packs (for-pack tag in _tags) and
> I do not see a .depends file for the top pack module, so I'd like to
> know where this information is kept.

I see this happen if I forget to specify a sub-module in an .mlpack
file, but use it anyway (so it's pulled in as a dependency to the pack,
but not actually explicitly part of the pack).

So just try listing all the modules you use explicitly in the .mlpack and
see if the issue goes away.

--
Anil Madhavapeddy                                 http://anil.recoil.org

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlbuild circular dependencies
@ 2011-10-26 13:45   ` Guillaume Yziquel
From: Guillaume Yziquel @ 2011-10-26 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Madhavapeddy; +Cc: caml-list

Le Wednesday 26 Oct 2011 à 14:22:14 (+0100), Anil Madhavapeddy a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 02:58:04PM +0200, Guillaume Yziquel wrote:
>
> I see this happen if I forget to specify a sub-module in an .mlpack
> file, but use it anyway (so it's pulled in as a dependency to the pack,
> but not actually explicitly part of the pack).

Yes, that's it.

--
     Guillaume Yziquel