* [Caml-list] Problems building a library, types go missing
@ 2013-07-28  0:13 Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-07-28  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Hi,

I'm trying to build a library in one of 2 ways out of
seperate modules. All files are available via git from

https://github.com/mrvn/ocam-problems/tree/functor-in-lib-problem
git clone git@github.com:mrvn/ocam-problems.git

The first library works and uses these files:

internal/IntFoo.ml	: implement module T
internal/IntWorks.ml    : declare module type T_t and functor taking a T_t
lib/works.ml            : library mapping internal to external modules
test/test1.ml		: test functor with local module
test/test2.ml		: test functor with libraries module
test/test3.ml		: test privatness of internal module (MUST FAIL)
test/test4.ml		: test3 with too many includes (SHOULD FAIL)

and the second fails and uses there files:

internal/IntFoo_t.ml    : declare module type T_t
internal/IntFoo.ml      : implement module T
internal/IntFails.ml    : functor taking a IntFoo_t.T_t
lib/fails.ml		: library mapping internal to external modules
test/test5.ml		: test functor with local module (FAILS)
test/test6.ml		: test functor with libraries module (FAILS)
test/test7.ml		: test privatness of internal module (MUST FAIL)
test/test8.ml		: test7 with too many includes (SHOULD FAIL)

Now my question is: Why does the Fails.Foo_t.T_t type get lost all of
a sudden unless I include the internal directory in the search path?

MfG
	Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] Problems building a library, types go missing
@ 2013-07-29 11:03 ` Leo White
From: Leo White @ 2013-07-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml users

If you look at the interfaces for works.ml and fails.ml (using "ocamlc
-i"), you can see the problem:

works.ml:

  module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
  module Functor :
    sig
      module type Foo_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end
      module Make : functor (Foo : Foo_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
    end

fails.ml:

  module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
  module Foo_t : sig module type T_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end end
  module Functor :
    sig
      module Make :
        functor (Foo : IntFoo_t.T_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
    end

As you can see the Fails.Functor.Make functor expects an argument with
module type IntFoo_t.T_t, while the Works.Functor.Make functor expects
an argument with module type Works.Functor.Foo_t.

Since you hide IntFoo_t when compiling your tests, the compiler cannot
find IntFoo_t.T_t and so it cannot check whether Fails.Functor.Make is
being applied correctly.

To fix this simply add a signature to Fails.Functor, or better yet add a
"fails.mli" to your project:

  module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
  module Foo_t : sig module type T_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end end
  module Functor :
    sig
      module Make :
        functor (Foo : Foo_t.T_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
    end

Regards,

Leo

@ 2013-08-01 15:00   ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-08-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:03:33PM +0100, Leo White wrote:

> If you look at the interfaces for works.ml and fails.ml (using "ocamlc
> -i"), you can see the problem:
>
> works.ml:
>
>   module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
>   module Functor :
>     sig
>       module type Foo_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end
>       module Make : functor (Foo : Foo_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
>     end
>
> fails.ml:
>
>   module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
>   module Foo_t : sig module type T_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end end
>   module Functor :
>     sig
>       module Make :
>         functor (Foo : IntFoo_t.T_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
>     end
>
> As you can see the Fails.Functor.Make functor expects an argument with
> module type IntFoo_t.T_t, while the Works.Functor.Make functor expects
> an argument with module type Works.Functor.Foo_t.
>
> Since you hide IntFoo_t when compiling your tests, the compiler cannot
> find IntFoo_t.T_t and so it cannot check whether Fails.Functor.Make is
> being applied correctly.
>
> To fix this simply add a signature to Fails.Functor, or better yet add a
> "fails.mli" to your project:
>
>   module Foo : sig module T : sig type t = int val foo : t -> unit end end
>   module Foo_t : sig module type T_t = sig type t val foo : t -> unit end end
>   module Functor :
>     sig
>       module Make :
>         functor (Foo : Foo_t.T_t) -> sig val do_foo : Foo.t -> unit end
>     end
>
> Regards,
>
> Leo

Can I use some "with type" syntax instead? Something like

module Functor = (IntFails with type IntFoo_t.T_t = Foo_t.T_t)

I'm trying to keep the files short and few so I don't have to edit
multiple files every time I change something. At least till the API
stabilizes.

MfG
	Goswin