* [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-24 19:10 ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2013-11-24 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

  New release of extlib is out, featuring new functions, bugfixes and
 new ocamlfind package extlib_min without potentially conflicting modules (notably
 UChar UTF8 conflict with Camomile).

 Get it as usual at http://code.google.com/p/ocaml-extlib or with `opam install extlib`.

 Release notes for extlib-1.6.0 :
 * Fix OCaml 4 Hashtbl compatibility
 * Install additionally `extlib_min` with reduced set of modules (to mitigate linking conflicts)
 * Build with debugging information by default
 * Fix signature for `ExtList.iteri` and `OptParse.OptParser.error`
 * Speed up `String.nsplit`
 * New functions:
  * `String.find_from` (by Alexander Markov)
  * `IO.output_strings` (by Mehdi Dogguy)
  * `IO.read_float32` and `IO.write_float32` (by Philippe Strauss)
  * `IO.scanf` (by Warren Harris)
  * `UTF8.substring` (by Berke Durak)
  * `Enum.next`

* Re: [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-25 11:15 ` ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2013-11-25 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:10:21 +0800
ygrek <ygrek@autistici.org> wrote:

>  * Install additionally `extlib_min` with reduced set of modules (to mitigate linking conflicts)

After some more thought I don't really like this approach.
See the reasoning in http://code.google.com/p/ocaml-extlib/issues/detail?id=23#c6
The new approach (implemented in svn) is to include offending modules conditionally during extlib build
time, so that extlib without UChar module can be easily integrated into codebases that don't depend on UChar,
while others may take some time to amend the code. Basically the decision is being retargeted
from code developer to the end-user/admin. Cursory research suggests that in opam there is one package
using UTF8 module from extlib - namely javalib. So practically it means creating
two opam packages extlib and extlib_full and promoting the first. This sounds better than having
two ocamlfind packages, anyway.
What do you think?

* Re: [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-25 12:51   ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2013-11-25 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 11/25/13, 8:15 PM, ygrek wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:10:21 +0800
> ygrek <ygrek@autistici.org> wrote:
>
>>   * Install additionally `extlib_min` with reduced set of modules (to mitigate linking conflicts)
>
> After some more thought I don't really like this approach.
> See the reasoning in http://code.google.com/p/ocaml-extlib/issues/detail?id=23#c6
> The new approach (implemented in svn) is to include offending modules conditionally during extlib build
> time, so that extlib without UChar module can be easily integrated into codebases that don't depend on UChar,
> while others may take some time to amend the code. Basically the decision is being retargeted
> from code developer to the end-user/admin. Cursory research suggests that in opam there is one package
> using UTF8 module from extlib - namely javalib. So practically it means creating
> two opam packages extlib and extlib_full and promoting the first. This sounds better than having
> two ocamlfind packages, anyway.
> What do you think?

I even wonder why extlib is still out there.
I was thinking it was superseded by batteries.

* Re: [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-26  9:36   ` ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2013-11-26  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 19:15:46 +0800
ygrek <ygrek@autistici.org> wrote:

> The new approach (implemented in svn) is to include offending modules conditionally during extlib build
> time, so that extlib without UChar module can be easily integrated into codebases that don't depend on UChar,

This has now gone final with extlib-1.6.1
The opam package names will be extlib (reduced) and extlib-compat (full)

* Re: [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-28 19:57     ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2013-11-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:51:14PM +0900, Francois Berenger wrote:
> I even wonder why extlib is still out there.
> I was thinking it was superseded by batteries.

Extlib has its niche, and several programs exist that are using it.
There's sometimes no need for a huge library like Batteries to do a
few things that extlib does.

Also .. if people want to hack on extlib, good luck to them.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] extlib 1.6.0 released
@ 2013-11-29  0:43       ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2013-11-29  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:51:14PM +0900, Francois Berenger wrote:
>> I even wonder why extlib is still out there.
>> I was thinking it was superseded by batteries.
>
> Extlib has its niche, and several programs exist that are using it.
> There's sometimes no need for a huge library like Batteries to do a
> few things that extlib does.

I was wondering if it doesn't hide some kind of user request, like
batteries should be split in a core part and some other parts.
Other big libraries did that (Core some time ago, for example).

@ 2013-11-29  8:22         ` Sergei Lebedev
From: Sergei Lebedev @ 2013-11-29  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml-list