* [Caml-list] Faster byte code
@ 2015-09-19 22:06 Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2015-09-19 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier; you mentioned during the state of ocaml 2015 talk that there
was a 30% faster bytecode runtime coming.  Is there any more
information on this?  I found this part of the talk difficult to
follow on youtube.

I am mainly interested if there will be a change in the bytecode
runtime, or if it is related to the compiler.

Regards,
Andy

* Re: [Caml-list] Faster byte code
@ 2015-09-19 22:32 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-09-19 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe the change that was described is the now-merged

  GPR#226: Compiling the run-time system at higher levels of C optimization
  https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/226

From the experiments reported by Xavier, I have the impression that
most gains are about the way the C compiler optimizes the bytecode
dispatch loop, so these would be specific to running bytecode-compiled
programs. Native programs should also benefit by linking to a
better-optimized runtime system, but no noticeable gains have been
observed on these so far -- probably because a lot of the runtime code
is memory-access-bound and harder to optimize.

Note that we don't have much performance numbers for now, so extra
data points are welcome: if you have a program spending a noticeable
time in specific parts of the runtime system, you might see a gain.

@ 2015-09-19 23:24   ` Andy Ray
From: Andy Ray @ 2015-09-19 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for the explanation.  It is interesting that changing
optimisation levels is something that needs to be done so carefully.

Andy

@ 2015-09-20 18:57     ` Adrien Nader
From: Adrien Nader @ 2015-09-20 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2015, Andy Ray wrote:
> Thank you for the explanation.  It is interesting that changing
> optimisation levels is something that needs to be done so carefully.

GCC's -O2 optimization level (and -O3 even more) haven't always been as
safe and stable as they currently are. :)

There are still some compilers easily producing funky outputs used in
production.

Also, I'm wondering whether this change reduces the compiler's own build
times.

--
Adrien Nader