* [Caml-list] ocamlc 4.03 -> 4.04: change in meaning of -i
@ 2017-07-08 14:08 Timothy Bourke
From: Timothy Bourke @ 2017-07-08 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I just noticed a change in the behaviour of ocamlc that adversely
affects a tool I maintain.

In 4.03.0 (and earlier), the -i option only applies to the .ml files
that follow it on the command line.

In 4.04.0 (and later), the -i option applies to all .ml files on the
command line.

Is this change in behaviour intentional?

Tim.

Longer explanation
==================

Given two files.

  a.ml:
    let f x = x + 1

  b.ml:
    open A
    let g x = f x

1. In 4.03.0 (and earlier), typing either
     ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml
   or
     ocamlc -c a.ml; ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml

   prints
     val g : int -> int

   and generates
     a.cmi
     a.cmo

2. In 4.04.0 (and later), typing
     ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml

   prints
     val f : int -> int
     File "b.ml", line 1, characters 5-6:
     Error: Unbound module A

   and does not generate anything.

3. In 4.04.0 (and later), typing
     ocamlc -c a.ml; ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml

   prints
     val f : int -> int
     val g : int -> int

   and generates
     a.cmi
     a.cmo

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: [Caml-list] ocamlc 4.03 -> 4.04: change in meaning of -i
@ 2017-07-09  9:47 ` David Allsopp
> I just noticed a change in the behaviour of ocamlc that adversely
> affects a tool I maintain.
>
> In 4.03.0 (and earlier), the -i option only applies to the .ml files
> that follow it on the command line.
>
> In 4.04.0 (and later), the -i option applies to all .ml files on the
> command line.
>
> Is this change in behaviour intentional?

This behaviour is a consequence of GPR#464 (in particular https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/commit/4dc3efe) and intentional.

Prior to 4.04.0, at the point of processing a.ml in `ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml` the compiler assumes it is linking (since that is the default operation) and so generates a.cmo and a.cmi. Once it sees the `-i` it discovers that it's supposed to be dumping interfaces and so prints the interface of b.ml - this works because by fluke it compiled a.ml previously. Prior to 4.04.0, if instead you had run `ocamlc -i a.ml b.ml` (with no a.cmi built) you would have got the same error and the same output.

PR#6475/GPR#464 took the decision that the command line arguments should be fully interpreted before doing anything, hence in 4.04.0+ `ocamlc a.ml -i b.ml` and `ocamlc -i a.ml b.ml` are the same command and interpreted as the latter (the change is marked as breaking as a result).

HTH,

David

@ 2017-07-09 15:00   ` Timothy Bourke
From: Timothy Bourke @ 2017-07-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)