* [Caml-list] OCaml 4.00.0 for iOS is released
@ 2012-09-17 17:12 Jeffrey Scofield
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-09-17 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield

Greetings OCamlers,

I've released a version of OCaml 4.00.0 that creates iOS apps.  First
class modules and generalized abstract data types for your iPhone and
iPad!

I wrote a little bit about the project here:

    http://psellos.com/2012/09/2012.09.ocamlxarm-ocaml4-released.html

If you just want to download the cross compiler or build it from source,
you can go directly to the main OCaml-on-iOS page:

    http://psellos.com/ocaml/compile-to-iphone.html

I also have a page of OCaml-on-iOS resources with many example
apps and an interface to OpenGL ES:

    http://psellos.com/ocaml/

This version of OCamlXARM (my name for the project) generates code only
for the armv7 architecture (in the Thumb encoding), which works on all
iOS devices introduced since September 2009.  Despite some excellent
advice to the contrary, I'm planning to put out a release that also
generates armv6 code (in ARM encoding), which will support all historical
iOS devices.

Thanks to Benedikt Meurer for writing the OCaml 4 ARM code generator,
and for help and advice.  Thanks to my colleagues at SEAiq[1] for helping
with the testing.  Thanks to the OCaml team at INRIA for fixing some
bugs we found in the base OCaml 4.00.0 release (PR 5731[2], PR 5757[3]).

(The SEAiq guys have also recently demonstrated that OCaml threading
works under iOS.  I'll have more about this soon in my sporadic
blog, linked above.)

I'm very happy to hear from anybody interested.

Jeffrey

[1]: http://www.seaiq.com/
[2]: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5731
[3]: http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5757

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-09-17 17:12 UTC | newest]