* RE: [Caml-list] F#
@ 2002-06-08 23:04 Don Syme
From: Don Syme @ 2002-06-08 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8", Size: 2330 bytes --]

And I'm even more grateful to Xavier and the team for doing such a great job with OCaml over the years, and for providing a solid core language, an excellent runtime system and the very interesting set of langauge features they've added to the core.  Core Caml provides a great starting point for work of all kinds: I used it in my PhD thesis, for example, as the term language for a theorem prover.

I chose to implement a core Caml compiler for .NET partly to test out generics, but also because I want to be able to program against .NET libraries using the language I love to program in, and reuse the libraries and techniques I've developed.  I guess it's possible I'll get a bit of flak from the Caml community about F#.  Being at Microsoft Research I presume I'll be writing a fair bit of .NET code sooner or late, and personally I'd rather do that in Caml/F# than C#... I hope the Caml community won't mind me making that opportunity available to others via the public release of F#.

Cheers,
Don

From: Brian Smith @ 2002-06-09 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have looked over the archives and I have seen there has been a fair
amount of discussion on compiling O'Caml to JVM bytecode or the .NET
intermediate language. The primary advantage cited seems to be reuse of
.NET and J2SE/J2EE libraries. People have said that compiling O'Caml to
JVM/.NET is difficult because of mismatches in the .NET/JVM object model
and the O'Caml object model.

But, would it be easier to reuse Java libraries by:
   * extending the O'Caml runtime to be able to interpret JVM bytecodes
     (i.e. be able to dynamically link to *.class and *.jar files), or
   * cross-compiling JVM bytecode into O'Caml bytecode, or
   * compiling Java source code into O'Caml bytecode

Similar questions apply for .NET, of course.

I would like to do more programming in O'Caml but it is sometimes
difficult to choose O'Caml over Java when there are _so_ many libraries
available for Java, with more added seemingly every day.

Thanks,
Brian