* [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-05 21:31 Alessandro Baretta
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-03-05 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

Hello Caml riders!

I'm glad to announce the first public alpha release of the
Xcaml application server for Apache (and other CGI enable
web servers). You can find it at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcaml/

Xcaml is a number of things:

1) An XML flavored programming language.

Xcaml scripts compute a text file, generally an XML or HTML
file. The full power of Ocaml can be unleashed by embedding
ocaml code within <?xcaml ... ?> processing instructions.
Other features include $-variables, whereby "$varname" gets
substituted with the contents of the "varname" CGI
environment variable); $-expressions, whereby "$( ocaml-expr
)$" is substituted with the string computed by the
ocaml-expr; $#-variables, whereby "$#varname" is substituted
with the contents of the varname session-environment
variable saved within the xcaml application server.

2) An Xcaml -> Ocaml -> Bytecode compiler

Xcaml scripts get translated to Ocaml and subsequently
compiled to bytecode object files.

3) A dynamic application server

Xcaml-derived bytecode object files are dynamically linked
with the xcaml executable to produce the output of the
associated xcaml-script.

Xcaml is currently being used to develop web frontends to
mission critical database applications.

Currently, the main limitation of the Xcaml system is the
total absence of documentation, as the the implementors of
the Xcaml system are also the only users (up to now).

I plan on working on the documentation, but I would first
like to estimate how much interest there is in the ocaml
community for this project.

Of course, contributions and cooperation are more than welcome.

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-05 22:55 ` Karl Zilles
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Karl Zilles @ 2003-03-05 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

Alessandro Baretta wrote:
 > Hello Caml riders!
 >
 > I'm glad to announce the first public alpha release of the Xcaml
 > application server for Apache (and other CGI enable web servers). You
 > can find it at:
 > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcaml/

Looks interesting to me!

Is there any way under this implementation to pool database connections?
  NetCGI works with standard CGI (no caching), or with the Ajp protocol:
sequential processing (not ideal) or with forked subprocesses (can we
pool db connections with forked processes?  Sounds tricky).

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-06  7:32   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-03-06  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Zilles, Ocaml

Karl Zilles wrote:
> Alessandro Baretta wrote:
>  > Hello Caml riders!
>  >
>  > I'm glad to announce the first public alpha release of the Xcaml
>  > application server for Apache (and other CGI enable web servers). You
>  > can find it at:
>  > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcaml/
>
> Looks interesting to me!
>
> Is there any way under this implementation to pool database connections?

What do you mean exactly?

>  NetCGI works with standard CGI (no caching), or with the Ajp protocol:

In due time Xcaml will support the Jserv protocol, but at
present it only runs as a (stateful) CGI.

> sequential processing (not ideal) or with forked subprocesses (can we
> pool db connections with forked processes?  Sounds tricky).

Could you better explain what you need?

@ 2003-03-06  7:35 ` Michal Moskal
From: Michal Moskal @ 2003-03-06  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:31:22PM +0100, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
> Hello Caml riders!
>
> I'm glad to announce the first public alpha release of the
> Xcaml application server for Apache (and other CGI enable
> web servers). You can find it at:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcaml/

Nice, but why it runs 'su -c make install' after during regular
make?

--
: Michal Moskal ::::: malekith/at/pld-linux.org :  GCS {C,UL}++++$ a? !tv
: PLD Linux ::::::: Wroclaw University, CS Dept :  {E-,w}-- {b++,e}>+++ h

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-06  8:58 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2003-03-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:31:22PM +0100, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
> ocaml-expr; $#-variables, whereby "$#varname" is substituted
> with the contents of the varname session-environment
> variable saved within the xcaml application server.

Could you briefly explain how sessione variables are handled in Xcaml?

> 2) An Xcaml -> Ocaml -> Bytecode compiler

Is the compilation a required step or it's an optional one?

> I plan on working on the documentation, but I would first
> like to estimate how much interest there is in the ocaml
> community for this project.

Sounds interesting to me ... let's chat a bit about it! :)

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  -  Undergraduate Student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
zack@{cs.unibo.it,debian.org,bononia.it}  -  http://www.bononia.it/zack/

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-06 14:01   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-03-06 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Moskal, Ocaml

Michal Moskal wrote:

> Nice, but why it runs 'su -c make install' after during regular
> make?

You are right in pointing out that this feature should not
be in the source distribution I published. I use this
feature to simplify installation of the entire software
distribution at my customers' sites (Libraries + Xcaml +
Xcaml pages).

I will remove this from the makefile in the Sourceforge distro.

@ 2003-03-06 19:38     ` Karl Zilles
From: Karl Zilles @ 2003-03-06 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

Alessandro Baretta wrote:
> Karl Zilles wrote:
>> Alessandro Baretta wrote:
>>  > http://sourceforge.net/projects/xcaml/
>>
>> Looks interesting to me!
>>
>> Is there any way under this implementation to pool database connections?
>
> What do you mean exactly?

Typically in web applications, connections to the database are cached
because there is a large overhead in making the connection.  They are
stored in a pool which is shared among the requests coming in.

> In due time Xcaml will support the Jserv protocol, but at present it
> only runs as a (stateful) CGI.

More generally, I would like be able to cache data in memory.  When you
say stateful CGI, does that mean that it reloads its state from disk on
every request?

Karl

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
@ 2003-03-11  7:08   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-03-11  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefano Zacchiroli, Ocaml

Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:31:22PM +0100, Alessandro Baretta wrote:
>
>>ocaml-expr; $#-variables, whereby "$#varname" is substituted
>>with the contents of the varname session-environment
>>variable saved within the xcaml application server.
>

> Could you briefly explain how sessione variables are handled in Xcaml?

Very briefly, we have a "big" hashtable, where the keys are
the session handles and the values are the session
environments. Session environments are hashtables from
strings to strings. Environment variables must be stored by
a function call within and <?xcaml ... ?> block but can be
accessed directly from HTML/XML/whatever with a $#varname
directive.

>>2) An Xcaml -> Ocaml -> Bytecode compiler
>

> Is the compilation a required step or it's an optional one?

It's done automatically for you when you load the page. A
cache file keeps track of what xcaml pages have already been
compiled, so that files are not needlessly recompiled on and
on again. Of course, if you make a change to a page
on-the-fly, Xcaml notices and flushes it from the cache,
forcing a recompilation.

>>I plan on working on the documentation, but I would first
>>like to estimate how much interest there is in the ocaml
>>community for this project.
>

> Sounds interesting to me ... let's chat a bit about it! :)
>
> Cheers.

Sono qui, Zack! Fammi sapere.

A new release is coming up this week.

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Announce: Xcaml 0.0.1 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-03-15  0:44 ` SooHyoung Oh
From: SooHyoung Oh @ 2003-03-15  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta, Ocaml

What shoud I do for installation?
What is "freerp-dblib-dmd" in xcaml-lib's Makefile?

---
SooHyoung Oh
email: shoh@duonix.com