* [Caml-list] LablTk question
@ 2003-03-08  2:31 mgushee
From: mgushee @ 2003-03-08  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm trying to learn LablTk by studying the examples provided in the
OCaml distribution ... looking at the Tetris game right now.
Fortunately I have plenty of experience with Tk itself, so most of
the code is intelligible. But I'm puzzled about the 'coe' function,
as in:

  pack [coe c; coe r; coe r'] ~side: `Left ~fill: `Y;

Okay, so I dug a little deeper and found that 'coe' is an alias for
forget_type ... but why? What is the purpose of weakening the widget
types as they are packed?

And by the way, what does 'coe' stand for? Is it a French acronym?

Thanks in advance for shedding light on this dark corner.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA

* Re: [Caml-list] LablTk question
@ 2003-03-08  3:24 ` mgushee
From: mgushee @ 2003-03-08  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 7 Mar 2003 at 19:31, mgushee@havenrock.com wrote:

>   pack [coe c; coe r; coe r'] ~side: `Left ~fill: `Y;
>
> Okay, so I dug a little deeper and found that 'coe' is an alias for
> forget_type ... but why? What is the purpose of weakening the widget
> types as they are packed?

Duh. Never mind. I realized after asking this that it's in order to
be able to place different widget types together in a list ... though
if 'coe' has any other use, I'd be interested to know about it.

And I'm still curious about what it stands for.

--

@ 2003-03-08  8:02   ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2003-03-08  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

mgushee@havenrock.com wrote:

>On 7 Mar 2003 at 19:31, mgushee@havenrock.com wrote:
>

>>  pack [coe c; coe r; coe r'] ~side: `Left ~fill: `Y;
>>
>>Okay, so I dug a little deeper and found that 'coe' is an alias for
>>forget_type ... but why? What is the purpose of weakening the widget
>>types as they are packed?
>>

>Duh. Never mind. I realized after asking this that it's in order to
>be able to place different widget types together in a list ... though
>if 'coe' has any other use, I'd be interested to know about it.
>
>And I'm still curious about what it stands for.

 From the labltk README,

"In CamlTk, we have only one widget type, [widget]. This type is equivalent
to the LablTk's type [any widget]. Therefore, if you want to apply CamlTk
functions to LablTk widget, you can use [coe] function to coerce it to
[any widget]."

So it's short for "coerce."  Hope that helps.

--
Issac Trotts