* [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-03-16  9:24 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-03-16  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: ocaml_beginners

Hello,

this night I have looked for papers on tail-recursion.
I found some interesting papers. But I also found
books on FP-programming, which are highly interesting
and available in web.

# Recursion, Iteration
# and
# Functional Languages:

    http://www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/ccsc98/ccsc98/ccsc98.html

This author also has written texts about selecting languages
in computer science education, and other interesting texts too.

# Computer Science:
# Abstraction to Implementation

    http://www.cs.hmc.edu/claremont/keller/webBook/index.htm

Contains a Chapter on High-Level- and one one Low-Level-
Functional Programming (Chap. 3 and Chap. 4).
Covers Object-Oriented programming as well.

  âÏÌÅÅ Ó×ÅÖÁÑ ×ÅÒÓÉÑ × pdf ÔÕÔ:
  http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/cs60book/

# LISP Primer:
    http://grimpeur.tamu.edu/~colin/lp/

I have found other interesting material on tail-recursion,
but did not add all these here. If the explanations in the
above-books are not enough, ask me (or google).

But one paper on tail-recursion (forgotten the URL, but the
filename is: "primitive-slides.pdf") I can recommend:

   John Cowles, Consistelntly Adding Primitive Recursive
                Functions in ACL2

Explains tail-recursion in a more abstratced way, but does
use abstracted formalisms: does not leave the programmers
perspective and therefore is a very good attempt to
do it abstract as well as grounded :)
That's, what I like, and how programmers can learn new
stuff, even if they are not researchers.

(When formalisms are introduced more gently (maybe two-column
 page layout and on one column using this style of "concrete abstraction"
 and  on the other column using formalisms, then you can gain
 more understanding in your readers... so, the mentioned paper can be
 seen as using an "example" as a specification/explanation of a concept.
 This is a very good attempt!  Because functional languages are
 often explained as "executable" specifications, why not using
 this advantage of FPLs to explain the programming concepts? (...) ))

Ciao,
   Oliver

P.S.: It seems to me, that my style of writing texts should be a hint
      to start Lisp-Programming. ;-)

From: Sergey Goldgaber <sgoldgaber@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
To: Oliver Bandel <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>, caml-list@inria.fr
Cc: ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:44:50 -0800 (PST)

> this night I have looked for papers on tail-recursion.
> I found some interesting papers. But I also found
> books on FP-programming, which are highly interesting
> and available in web.

"Unix System Programming with Standard ML" ( available online at
http://web.access.net.au/felixadv/smlbook.html ), has a nice writeup on
tail recursion in the "loops and recursion" section.  The book also has
the desirable property that (at least in this section) it compares and
contrasts functional style with imperative style, including
representing the same problem in both C and SML.

I've only read the section on tail recursion, so I can't comment on the
rest of the book, but it looks very promising so far.

  --Sergey

 + Origin: tyranny (2:5020/400)

* Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-05-09 13:52 ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2003-05-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list, ocaml_beginners

Oliver Bandel wrote:
> I have found other interesting material on tail-recursion,
> but did not add all these here. If the explanations in the
> above-books are not enough, ask me (or google).

To add my standard comment: Don't google for CS papers, use citeseer.

  http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?cs=1&q=tail-recursion

> But one paper on tail-recursion (forgotten the URL, but the
> filename is: "primitive-slides.pdf") I can recommend:
>
>    John Cowles, Consistelntly Adding Primitive Recursive
>                 Functions in ACL2

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cowles02consistently.html

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-05-09 14:55 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-05-09 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:24:49AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
[...]

Why is this old message from me sent again here to the list?

Two months delay?

Well, interesting technology today. :)

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-05-11 11:49   ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2003-05-11 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel, caml-list

> > Hello,
> [...]
>
> Why is this old message from me sent again here to the list?
>
> Two months delay?
>
> Well, interesting technology today. :)

Maybe the mail was stuck in a router cache around Bagdad :)

Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-05-13  7:51     ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2003-05-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Oliver Bandel, caml-list

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>>Why is this old message from me sent again here to the list?
> Maybe the mail was stuck in a router cache around Bagdad :)

Looks more like I somehow managed to see it as unread...

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] Books on FPL
@ 2003-03-17  2:44 ` Sergey Goldgaber
From: Sergey Goldgaber @ 2003-03-17  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel, caml-list; +Cc: ocaml_beginners

@ 2003-03-16 14:22 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-03-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: ocaml_beginners

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 10:24:49AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
[...]
>    John Cowles, Consistelntly Adding Primitive Recursive
>                 Functions in ACL2
>
> Explains tail-recursion in a more abstratced way, but does

not (!)

> use abstracted formalisms: does not leave the programmers
[...]

Uses program-code instead!

Ciao,
   Oliver