* [Caml-list] I need a C preprocessor
@ 2003-08-28 16:09 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-08-28 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Here is some code I've just written. CjsConfig.debug_menu is a
compile-time constant.

  let debug_menu =
    if CjsConfig.debug_menu then
      Some (factory#add_submenu "Debug")
    else
      None in

  (* ... *)

  let single_step_ev_item, single_step_res_item, step_to_item,
      dump_hiertext_item =
    match debug_menu with
      None -> None, None, None, None
    | Some debug_menu ->
	let factory = new GMenu.factory debug_menu ~accel_group in
	let single_step_ev_item =
	  factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Event)"
	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._T in
	let single_step_res_item =
	  factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Result Period)"
	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._Z in
	let step_to_item = factory#add_item "Step To ..." in
	factory#add_separator ();
	let dump_hiertext_item =
	  factory#add_item "Dump HierText To Console"
	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._H in
	(Some single_step_ev_item, Some single_step_res_item,
	 Some step_to_item, Some dump_hiertext_item)
  in

Now in C I'd use the preprocessor:

#ifdef DEBUG_MENU
  factory#add_submenu "Debug"
#endif

#ifdef DEBUG_MENU
  let factory = new GMenu.factory debug_menu ~accel_group in
  let single_step_ev_item = factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Event)"
  (* etc. *)
#endif

which results in briefer, faster and simpler to understand code.

My question is what is the proper style for this sort of thing in
OCaml?

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.

* Re: [Caml-list] I need a C preprocessor
@ 2003-08-28 17:33 ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2003-08-28 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Richard Jones wrote:

>Here is some code I've just written. CjsConfig.debug_menu is a
>compile-time constant.
>
>  let debug_menu =
>    if CjsConfig.debug_menu then
>      Some (factory#add_submenu "Debug")
>    else
>      None in
>
>  (* ... *)
>
>  let single_step_ev_item, single_step_res_item, step_to_item,
>      dump_hiertext_item =
>    match debug_menu with
>      None -> None, None, None, None
>    | Some debug_menu ->
>	let factory = new GMenu.factory debug_menu ~accel_group in
>	let single_step_ev_item =
>	  factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Event)"
>	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._T in
>	let single_step_res_item =
>	  factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Result Period)"
>	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._Z in
>	let step_to_item = factory#add_item "Step To ..." in
>	factory#add_separator ();
>	let dump_hiertext_item =
>	  factory#add_item "Dump HierText To Console"
>	    ~key:GdkKeysyms._H in
>	(Some single_step_ev_item, Some single_step_res_item,
>	 Some step_to_item, Some dump_hiertext_item)
>  in
>
>Now in C I'd use the preprocessor:
>
>#ifdef DEBUG_MENU
>  factory#add_submenu "Debug"
>#endif
>
>#ifdef DEBUG_MENU
>  let factory = new GMenu.factory debug_menu ~accel_group in
>  let single_step_ev_item = factory#add_item "Single Step (1 Event)"
>  (* etc. *)
>#endif
>
>which results in briefer, faster and simpler to understand code.
>
>My question is what is the proper style for this sort of thing in
>OCaml?
>
>Rich.

Here's one way, using the C preprocessor:

(* gargle.ml
   ocamlc pp cpp -o gargle gargle.ml *)

#define GARGLE

#ifdef GARGLE
let () = prerr_endline "gargle is defined!"
#else
let () = prerr_endline "gargle is not defined!"
#endif

Here's another way, using the camlp4 ifdef macro:

(* gargle2.ml
   ocamlc -pp "camlp4o pa_o.cmo pa_ifdef.cmo pr_o.cmo" -o gargle2
gargle2.ml *)

define GARGLE

let () =
  ifdef GARGLE
    then prerr_endline "gargle is defined."
    else prerr_endline "gargle is not defined."

Issac