* [Caml-list] Distributed messaging in Ocaml
@ 2003-09-30 15:07 Katherine Moore
From: Katherine Moore @ 2003-09-30 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi!  My name is Kate Moore, and I am doing a senior design project at the University of Pennsylvania.  I am working with Benjamin Pierce and Alan Schmitt.

I am trying to implement a scalable, peer-to-peer data sharing system based on a Unison-like algorithm, and I am looking for tools to help with distributed message passing.  Any suggestions about what is available for use with Ocaml would be extremely helpful.

Thanks very much,

Kate
:)

* Re: [Caml-list] Distributed messaging in Ocaml
@ 2003-09-30 17:31 ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2003-09-30 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Moore; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:07:57AM -0400, Katherine Moore wrote:
> Hi!  My name is Kate Moore, and I am doing a senior design project at the University of Pennsylvania.  I am working with Benjamin Pierce and Alan Schmitt.
>
> I am trying to implement a scalable, peer-to-peer data sharing system based on a Unison-like algorithm, and I am looking for tools to help with distributed message passing.  Any suggestions about what is available for use with Ocaml would be extremely helpful.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Kate
> :)

Hello,

I think you should take a look at ensemble. It seems to be a great tool
to do what you are describing.

Another option, but i don't know it very well, is to have a look to
ocaml-soap, xml-rpc et al. I think it should also work.

All this link are in the humps.

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL

ps : take a look at mldonkey for a p2p application in ocaml.
pps : i will be very intersted in the result

* Re: [Caml-list] Distributed messaging in Ocaml
@ 2003-10-01 16:24   ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2003-10-01 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain LE GALL; +Cc: Katherine Moore, caml-list

Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:07:57AM -0400, Katherine Moore wrote:
>>I am trying to implement a scalable, peer-to-peer data sharing system
 >
> I think you should take a look at ensemble. It seems to be a great tool
> to do what you are describing.

No, last time I looked at it, I came to the conclusion that in its current form
ensemble is completely unusable in a P2P environment, since the protocol
requires that you can trust the intergity of the clients connecting to the
network. It just stuffs the bytes received from the net into
Marshal.from_something (which explains part of its speed). You would have to
implement a typesafe marshalling layer that does integrity checks on the
received messages.
Another possible problem: frequent joins and leaves (as you might expect in a
successful P2P environment) might keep the nodes busy syncronizing views and
electing new leaders and leave no time for actual data exchange.

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] Distributed messaging in Ocaml
@ 2003-10-01 22:54     ` Benjamin Geer
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2003-10-01 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Hars; +Cc: Sylvain LE GALL, Katherine Moore, caml-list

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:07:57AM -0400, Katherine Moore wrote:
> I am trying to implement a scalable, peer-to-peer data sharing system

MLdonkey (http://mldonkey.berlios.de/) is a multi-protocol, open-source
(and apparently widely used) P2P client written in Caml; maybe there's
some code in it that would be useful.

Ben