* [Caml-list] GODI News
@ 2003-11-05 21:28 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-11-05 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello list,

GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated with
the following packages:

- O'Caml 3.07pl2 (godi-ocaml,godi-ocaml-graphics,godi-ocaml-labltk)
- PXP 1.1.94.2 (godi-pxp)

This package is new:

- Wdialog 2.0.1 (godi-wdialog,godi-wdialog-manual)

To update the installation, just go into the godi_console, get the new
list of available packages, and select the mentioned packages for
(re)build. GODI will install the new packages, and will recompile all
dependent packages.

Gerd

GODI homepage: http://ocaml-programming.de/godi/

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI News
@ 2003-11-05 22:59 ` Ken Rose
From: Ken Rose @ 2003-11-05 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated

I just downloaded this, ran bootstrap, and got a failure.  The tail of
bootstrap.log looks like this:

gcc -I.. -I./.. -I. -I. -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I./missing -DNEED_HOST_CDEFS_H
-D_PATH_DEFSYSPATH="/home/ken/godi/share/mk" -DMAKE_BOOTSTRAP    -c -o
lstNext.o lstNext.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ken/godi-bootstrap-20030929/bmake/lst.lib'
gcc *.o lst.lib/*.o -o bmake.boot
rm -f *.[ado] */*.[ado]
CC="gcc" MAKESYSPATH=/home/ken/godi/share/mk MFLAGS= MAKEFLAGS=
./bmake.boot -f Makefile
bmake.boot: no system rules (sys.mk).

bmake.boot: stopped in /home/ken/godi-bootstrap-20030929/bmake
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?  This is the first time I've tried to
use GODI, so please mention the incredibly moronic possibilities, too.

Thanks

  - ken

* [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2012-10-22  2:39 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2012-10-22  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: godi-list

Hi list,

there are some news about GODI, the still alive OCaml distribution:

  (1) A new version of the GODI software (godi-tools) has been
      released, with a bunch of new features, code name Skylift
  (2) Accompanying godi-tools, there is also a new bootstrap,
      now defaulting to OCaml-4.00
  (3) There are two new GODI derivates easing the installation
      on Windows.

  *

1. Skylift

It has been possible for a long time to mix packages from various
sources, e.g. from the official GODI site, and from alternate sites.
However, this feature was well hidden, and a bit complicated to use.
Skylift eases this dramatically:

  - It includes scripts for populating directories with packages to
    export to the public (i.e. share your packages with others)
  - The profile feature was added to exactly control from where to
    take packages. The idea is that the user just installs a single
    file ("profile") and then automatically gets the packages from the
    sources described in this file. This makes it easy to import the
    package sources shared by others.

For some environments, it is very meaningful to deviate from GODI's
source-only policy, and to create and distribute binary packages (i.e.
already compiled). To support this better, the binary packages (which
are also present almost since the beginning but were never noticed)
have been enhanced. They encode now the "binary compatibility status"
in a checksum that is appended to the filename, e.g.
foo-3.4@BUILD_65fd12.tar.gz, and also record extended information about
this issue within the package file. This means that you can have
several foo-3.4 packages that were built with distinct dependencies,
and GODI is clever enough to pick the right one. In addition to this,
GODI supports now also to download binary packages from remote
directories, and there is also a new UI dialog for this.

For developers, adding a patch to a GODI package has become easier:
just edit the file, and then run a command to record the change. That's
it now.

GODI is now also simpler to install, because you don't need wget nor
PCRE anymore for running the bootstrap: wget is gone because GODI has
now an included file downloader, and PCRE could be dropped by
rearranging some Ocamlnet packaging.

Read more about Skylift:
http://godi.camlcity.org/godi/project-doc/skylift-intro.txt

Skylift is now also described in the User's Manual:
http://godi.camlcity.org/godi/user-doc/umanual.html

You can get Skylift only by installing GODI freshly - there is no
upgrade path for existing installations.

2. The new bootstrap

The new bootstrap is

http://download.camlcity.org/download/godi-skylift-20121022.tar.gz

It works as before, but default now to install OCaml 4.00.1. Of course,
you can still select an older version of OCaml.

Note that the support for packages is still not perfect for OCaml 4.00,
but many packages are already ported (by version bump or patch).

3. Windows (mingw)

Skylift also includes all changes to run together with Cygwin-1.7 (a
lot of the original GODI Windows support was bound to Cygwin-1.5). This
inspired two guys to further enhance the Windows experience:

  - CygwinGODI (by Sébastien Fricker) is an installer that covers both
Cygwin
    and GODI: http://cygwingodi.forge.ocamlcore.org/
  - WODI (by Andreas Hauptmann) goes even further, and creates a GODI
    derivate with specially-adapted packages, and a new GUI. WODI
    uses the new Skylift features for mixing packages sources, and for
    providing binary packages: http://wodi.forge.ocamlcore.org/

Read more about GODI in general: godi.camlcity.org

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2004-05-14 16:29 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-05-14 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi caml-list,

today the GODI distribution releases a new stable version of the
bootstrap tarball. This version includes support for:

- Linux
- Solaris
- FreeBSD
- NetBSD
- HP-UX
- MacOS X
- Cygwin

The latter four OS are supported for the first time. Read below how to
install or upgrade GODI.

There are also new packages, in particular:

- apps-unison: File synchronizer
- godi-camltemplate: Templates to generate web pages, SQL queries etc.
- godi-camomile: A comprehensive Unicode library
- godi-ocaml-mysql: MySQL client bindings
- godi-xml-light: minimal XML parser & pretty printer

Many thanks to Alain Frisch, Benjamin Geer, Owen Gunden, and Yamagata
Yoriyuki, who created the packages.

How to install GODI for the first time: Download the new bootstrap
tarball:

http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/godi-bootstrap-20040514.tar.gz

Please read these web pages and follow the instructions:
- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi
- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/godi/README.html

The latter is also included in the tarball.

How to upgrade: Just start godi_console, update the build instructions,
and then select the packages to upgrade from the list. Include at least
godi-core-mk, godi-core-pkgtools, and godi-tools, or press 'u' to select
all for which an upgrade is available. Then continue as usual. The rest
is done automatically. (This is why you need GODI.)

Gerd

* [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2004-04-28 12:38 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-04-28 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

here is my report about the progress of the GODI system. A lot of things
have happened since the last "GODI news", so this is quite long.

We have two release lines, one is the "stable" release, in the sense
that the GODI core does not change during its lifetime, the other is the
"development" release, where exactly this happens. Of course, there is
also development in the stable release, as lots of new packages have
been added.

*** The stable release ***

You get the stable release when you download and install GODI using the
instructions as explained at http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi, and
as detailed in the README file in the bootstrap tarball. It is known to
run on Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD.

The stable release includes 24 libraries beyond those coming with the
core O'Caml distribution. It has 50 packages in total.

Recent additions include:

- expat: bindings for the popular XML parser
- getopt: parsing of command-line arguments
- zip: Compression
- cduce: XML transformation language
- ocamlsdl: bindings for SDL
- ocamlodbc: bindings for ODBC
- headache: manage headers of source code files
- godiva: the GODI Verpacken Assistant (read more below)

Most packaging was done by Alain Frisch, thank you very much.

The stable release already includes godi_console, the frontend
application to update, install, and delete packages. It is menu-based
and quite simple to use. One of the key features is that it can download
updates from the GODI server, so when new packages or upgrades are
available, it is very easy to get them installed. Btw, this is not done
using cvs or other configuration management, but by plain http. I
explain the reasons below.

*** The development release ***

This is also some kind of release, although only announced in godi-list.
See below how to install it. The current version should work on Linux,
Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, MacOSX, and Cygwin. Development focuses on
getting it running on further platforms.

The changes illustrate this:

- One of the things where the platforms differ is the handling
  of shared libraries. I do not mean creating them, but rather
  using them. The GODI framework was extended to allow the integration
  of non-ELF based systems.

- The bootstrap script is more intelligent regarding finding
  executables in PATH. This is a bit tricky, as for some OS one
  should _not_ look certain utilities up by PATH to get the right
  versions, but on the other hand, extending PATH is the usual
  way of pointing to non-standard locations. Finding the right way
  was explored by lots of experiments.

- Especially for Cygwin, new ways of installing packages had to
  be explored. The problem is that Windows locks running executables,
  such that you cannot replace them. A workaround was found.

- Of course, there are also many smaller fixes.

I want to thank Eugene Kotlyarov for help on the Cygwin port, and
Matthew Backes for giving me access to his Macintosh.

Of course, one can only port GODI to a certain platform when there is a
development machine for it. If you would like to get GODI running on
your platform, and you have such a machine, you are more than welcome.

How to get the dev release:

- Download this bootstrap archive:
  http://ocaml-programming.de/packages/godi-bootstrap-20040426.tar.gz

- After unpacking, run ./bootstrap --prefix XXX as usual.

- IMPORTANT: Now change in <prefix>/etc/godi.conf:
  GODI_SECTION=dev

  Otherwise you get the stable GODI version.

- Finally, run ./boostrap_stage2

When everything works well, the dev release becomes the new stable
release. I expect that this happens in one or two weeks.

*** GODIVA ***

GODI, and implicitly the BSD port system on which it bases, was
criticized as being too complicated for packagers. (Well, I would say it
is quite simple, but this is the impression some people have.) Owen
Gunden and William Lovas developed a tool for GODI that simplifies
packaging, namely GODIVA:

http://projects.phauna.org/GODIVA/

You only need to write a small specfile like

Package: godi-foolib
Version: 2.0
Revision: 0
Depends: godi-ocaml (>= 3.06)
Build-Depends: conf-foo, godi-findlib (>= 0.8.1)
Sources: http://www.phauna.org/foolib/foolib-2.0.tar.gz
Homepage: http://www.phauna.org/foolib/
Maintainer: Owen Gunden <ogunden@phauna.org>
Docfiles: README, VERSION, LICENSE
Foolib provides bindings for the foo library using the leetness
of labls!  It's a lot of fun.

(taken from the web site). However, GODIVA requires that the source code
follows a policy (e.g. that "make all" creates the bytecode version of
the software, and "make opt" creates the native code version), so the
downside is less flexibility. I think it is a good starting point to get
familiar with the GODI packaging system.

*** The GODI server ***

GODI also has a server infrastructure:

- http://www.ocaml-programming.de is web space I bought from a
  commercial provider. Nowadays, web space is cheap, fortunately. It is
  http only, no scripts, no databases. Includes several gigabytes of
  transfer volume per month.

- https://gps.dynxs.de is the small box left to my desk. It is
  connected with a DSL line, so bandwidth is very limited, but
  I can install what I want. It is currently running Debian-3.0.

For obvious reasons, the "main" thing must happen on
www.ocaml-programming.de, as this server can cope with high download
volume. For development, gps.dynxs.de is the better choice.

There are currently the following services:

- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi is the homepage
- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi-build is the directory with
  the "build instructions", i.e. the small tarballs that explain
  GODI how to install software
- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi-backup contains copies
  of the source tarballs. There is a mirror of this directory
  at http://lcavwww.epfl.ch/~henridf/godi-backup, thanks
  Henri Dubois-Ferriere.
  mailing lists godi-list and godi-commits
- https://gps.dynxs.de/svn is the home of the Subversion
  repository
- https://gps.dynxs.de/tracker is the home of the bug tracker
- https://gps.dynxs.de/godi_admin is the GODI administration
  tool for developers. This is a web application allowing the
  developers to release their packages without my help. The
  packages must already be checked in to the repository. The
  source tarballs are checked for availability. Finally, the
  tool manages that the right tarballs are uploaded to
  the godi-build and godi-backup directories.

Recently, the tracker and godi_admin were set up.

When a GODI user tries to update the installation, GODI looks into
http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi-build and checks whether there are
new versions of the packages. If so, these are downloaded. These are the
so-called build instructions, mainly containing a Makefile explaining
how to do the rest. The software as such is downloaded from the original
web server, if possible, and from
http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi-backup, or the mirror as fallback
solution.

Only HTTP is involved. For the users, it has the advantage that
firewalls do not block the downloads. For GODI, the advantage is that
cheap web space can be used to serve the requests.

*** LINKS ***

The most important links again:

- http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi explains how to install the
  stable version of GODI

  list. Archives can be found at
  https://gps.dynxs.de/pipermail/godi-list.

Gerd

* [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2004-02-27  9:41 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-02-27  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated with
the following packages:

- New versions of godi-tools (i.e. godi_console) and godi-core-mk.
  godi_console now includes a parser for makefiles that speeds up
  the process of scanning source packages. Furthermore, there
  are numerous bug fixes.
- godi-ulex version 0.4
- conf-unixodbc and godi-ocamlodbc-unixodbc version 2.6
- godi-equeue version 2.0.1
- godi-findlib version 1.0.3
- conf-sdl and godi-ocamlsdl version 0.6.3
- godi-lablgl version 1.0

To install these packages, just go into the godi_console, get the new
list of available packages, and select the mentioned packages for
build. Note that you should exit godi_console and call it again to
get the new version.

@ 2004-01-04 21:12 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2004-01-04 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated with
the following packages:

- godi-findlib Version 1.0.1
- godi-findlib-browser Version 0.2
- godi-equeue Version 2.0
- apps-ledit Version 1.11 (contributed by Alain Frisch)

To install these packages, just go into the godi_console, get the new
list of available packages, and select the mentioned packages for
build.

Sorry, but I found no time yet to include Owen's and William's PLIST
patch. This is still on my list and not forgotten.

@ 2003-12-08 12:44           ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-12-08 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:25:28PM -0500, William Lovas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:16:46PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:12:04AM -0500, William Lovas wrote:
> > > For the record, Owen Gunden and I are working on a tool (with
> > > documentation!) that will significantly simplify the creation of GODI
> > > packages.  Expect a release in a few days' time.
> >
> > Will it also help with creating debian packages ?
>
> Not yet -- but such a thing is on our list of ideas to bat around.  We'll
> see what comes of it..

If you ever go to doing it, please make sure you contact
debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org to discuss it. All the debian
maintainers of ocaml related packages are subscribed to this list, and
we have a certain experience of debian packaging issues you may be
interested in.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-05 21:23         ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-12-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Geer; +Cc: Caml list

On Don, 2003-12-04 at 01:41, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> > And when this works, too, you can send the contents of the godi-foo
> > directory to me, and I can integrate it into GODI.
>
> Thank you, this was very helpful.  One question: wouldn't it be better
> if I could just send you a URL where the godi-foo directory can be
> found?  GODI could download a list of those URLs from your web server,
> and use it to download the build instructions for each package from the
> package maintainer's web server.  That way, people could change the
> contents of their godi-foo directories (e.g. to change their package's
> dependencies) without having to send them to you again.

Nice idea. However, I think there are some problems. First, how do you
guarantee that the servers for the build instructions are all available?
Currently, there is only one critical dependency, namely on
ocaml-programming.de, but there could be mirrors. All other files (i.e.
the source tarballs) are already available on several file servers.
IMHO, collecting the build instructions at a central place is better
than a distributed system.

Another problem is that I want to have at least minimal control of
quality. That means that I want to ensure that a package does not do
something harmful, and that some minimum formal properties are ensured,
e.g. that the version number is increased when a new version of the
package is released. This is more work for me, but I think it is
important enough to be done.

It is already possible to get an account on my development server, such
that the maintainer can update the files himself (using the subversion
CMS).

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-04  4:25         ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2003-12-04  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:16:46PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:12:04AM -0500, William Lovas wrote:
> > For the record, Owen Gunden and I are working on a tool (with
> > documentation!) that will significantly simplify the creation of GODI
> > packages.  Expect a release in a few days' time.
>
> Will it also help with creating debian packages ?

Not yet -- but such a thing is on our list of ideas to bat around.  We'll
see what comes of it..

William

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-04  0:41       ` Benjamin Geer
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2003-12-04  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: Caml list

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> And when this works, too, you can send the contents of the godi-foo
> directory to me, and I can integrate it into GODI.

Thank you, this was very helpful.  One question: wouldn't it be better
if I could just send you a URL where the godi-foo directory can be
found?  GODI could download a list of those URLs from your web server,
and use it to download the build instructions for each package from the
package maintainer's web server.  That way, people could change the
contents of their godi-foo directories (e.g. to change their package's
dependencies) without having to send them to you again.

Ben

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-03 23:59     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-12-03 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Geer; +Cc: Alain.Frisch, Caml list

On Mit, 2003-12-03 at 00:36, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> > As a side note, I'd like to encourage OCaml library developers to consider
> > providing GODI build instructions to Gerd. It is quite easy.
>
> I'd love to, but I can't find a document that explains how to do that.
> I've read the README.devel, but it's not clear to me which parts of it
> are talking about the development of GODI itself, and which parts are
> explaining how to make a GODI package.  There's a section called 'What
> to put in the Makefile' that looks relevant, but I'm wondering:  Which
> Makefile?  What do I need besides a Makefile?
>
> I'd just like something that says, 'A GODI package consists of X [a
> tar.gz file?]  It must contain Y and Z.  Z must be in this format...'
> and so on.

Accepted that critique. So far I have found no time to write a tutorial
about package making. Because of this I am thankful that William Lovas
and Ownen Gunden are developing a tool for this purpose. Nevertheless,
here is a small introduction, and I hope it helps understanding
README.devel.

I am assuming you have installed GODI to /opt/godi (because this happens
to be the default), but of course, the same applies to any other prefix.
In /opt/godi there are two special directories:

/opt/godi/build: Here is the place where new sources are downloaded,
where they are installed, and where the compiled archives are stored.

/opt/godi/db: This is the package database that tracks where _binary_
packages are installed, so the files are known that make up a binary
installation of a package.

You can ignore the db directory for most of the time, it is just there,
and stores the state of the current installation.

The other directories below /opt/godi can (must) be used as installation
targets for packages (in the README found in the bootstrap tarball there
is a picture where to install what). More or less this is a standard
Unix tree.

The are some more interesting directories below "build":

/opt/godi/build/distfiles: These are the source tarballs downloaded from
the web or ftp sites of the authors of the packages. ("upstream sources"
in the slang.)

/opt/godi/build/packages: These are the binary packages that are the
result of compilation. If you build a package, the sources in
"distfiles" are taken and one tarball in "packages" is produced.

/opt/godi/build/mk: This directory contains build scripts. Most
important, there are "bsd.pkg.mk" and "bsd.prefs.mk", two Makefile
fragments that can be included by your own Makefiles. Don't change these
scripts.

/opt/godi/build/godi, conf, and base: These directories contain the
build instructions to compile packages. When you develop a package, you
create such build instructions that are put into a subdirectory here.
For example, the package "godi-foo" would reside in
/opt/godi/build/godi/godi-foo (i.e. the first word of the package name
determines the directory).

In this godi-foo directory, there must be four files:

- DESCR: This is just a text file with a description
- Makefile: This is a Makefile containing the entry points for the
  build  process
- PLIST.godi: This file explains which files belong to the binary
  package (after installation)
- distinfo: This file contains checksums for the source files that
  are compiled

Of course, there can be more files, but these four files are enough for
the beginning. After you have started the build, there will be a
directory "work". At any point, you can remove this directory, it
contains only temporary work files (for example, the unpacked sources).

You can begin by writing DESCR and Makefile, the other two can be added
later. When there is a syntactically correct Makefile, you can create
distinfo by "bmake makesum".

This Makefile is called the driver Makefile. It does not call compilers
etc. directly, but its task is to control the build process. This
Makefile must use the syntax of BSD make. BSD make is installed under
the name godi_make, and usually as bmake, too (for convenience only,
scripts should call make under the name godi_make). There is a man page
for godi_make, or look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=make&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=NetBSD+1.6.1&format=html

In README.devel you can find a skeleton for a simple driver Makefile.
More or less, it includes only the already mentioned .mk fragments and
defines lots of variables describing the details of the package. It is
also a good idea to look at already existing packages to see what can be
defined here.

The driver Makefile controls the build process. There are a number of
stages, and a successful build performs all stages in turn:

- fetch: Get the sources from the internet, put them into "distfiles"
- extract: unpack the sources into "work"
- patch: apply patches (beginners should avoid patches!)
- configure: configure the sources
- build: compile the sources
- install: install the sources into /opt/godi
- package: create the tarball for the binary package, and put it into
  the "packages" directory.

You can activate a stage by running "bmake <stage>". For example, "bmake
configure" goes through all stages from the current stage until the
configure stage is done. (Do "ls -a work" to see how GODI remembers what
the current stage is.)

The code for the stages is defined in bsd.pkg.mk. These are internals of
GODI, and there should be no need to look at it or to understand it.

Now assume we have a Makefile for godi-foo. After "bmake fetch", the
source tarball is downloaded into the "distfiles" directory. After
"bmake extract", it is unpacked, e.g. in work/foo-2.3. "bmake configure"
usually changes to work/foo-2.3 and calls the configure script (but only
if you have defined HAS_CONFIGURE in the driver Makefile, otherwise
there is nothing to configure). "bmake build" changes to work/foo-2.3
and does a "make all".

This is an important point: Of course, there is usually another Makefile
in work/foo-2.3 that is part of the source distribution. This is the
Makefile that actually calls compilers etc. Of course, this Makefile can
be written for a different version of "make", e.g. for GNU make (to
enable this, add "USE_GMAKE=yes" to the driver Makefile).

"bmake install" changes again to work/foo-2.3 and does a "make install".
It is now expected that the built software is installed into its final
location. (Currently, "staged installations" into temporary locations
are not yet supported.)

Before you do "bmake install" you must write a PLIST.godi file to
describe which files are installed where. This is because "bmake
install" also registers the package in the package database. Often,
writing PLIST.godi is the most difficult part. There is a trick to find
out which files are installed: Add these lines to the driver Makefile
(in the next release of GODI, they will be part of the framework):

USE_CTIME?=

.PHONY: print-installed
print-installed:
        ${_PKG_SILENT}${_PKG_DEBUG}\
        cd ${PREFIX} && \
        ${FIND} . \! -type d \( -newer ${EXTRACT_COOKIE} ${USE_CTIME:S|^yes$|-o -cnewer ${EXTRACT_COOKIE}|} \) | \
        ${GREP} -v '^./build/' | \
        ${GREP} -v '^${GODI_DBDIR:C|/+|/|g:S|/$||:S|^${PREFIX:C|/+|/|g:S|/$||}/|./|}/' | \
        ${SED} -e 's|^./||'

Now do "bmake print-installed USE_CTIME=yes", and a list of all files is
printed that have an mtime or ctime timestamp later than when the source
tarball was unpacked. (Some versions of the "find" command used here do
not support ctime comparisons. In this case, don't pass USE_CTIME=yes,
and check the output more carefully.)

Of course, PLIST.godi should not just list the files, but summarise
them. See README.devel for a list of instructions that can be used here.

Normally, one begins without PLIST.godi, then does "bmake install"
(which will fail at the registration step), then calls "bmake
print-installed". From the output, write a PLIST.godi file. Then one has
to repeat the installation step. To do so, remove the file
work/.install_done, and call "bmake install" again. The point is that
after the first "bmake install" the files are installed but not
registered. So you cannot even remove them by deinstalling the package.
The packaging is only done when this registration step is carried out
correctly, and this is why we call "bmake install" again after we have a
sensible PLIST.godi file.

The last stage is "bmake package". It normally works when "install"
works. After this stage, one can do further tests whether all files are
registered: Delete the package, and install it again from the binary
tarball, e.g.

godi_delete godi-foo
godi_add ../../packages/All/godi-foo-2.3.tar.gz

Of course, one should check whether all files are deleted, and whether
the complete package is restored.

When this all works, you can try to build the package from godi_console.
Especially check whether the dependencies are complete.

And when this works, too, you can send the contents of the godi-foo
directory to me, and I can integrate it into GODI.

I hope this introduction is helpful for you, and maybe I find the time
to expand it to a complete tutorial.

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-03 21:14       ` Sylvain LE GALL
From: Sylvain LE GALL @ 2003-12-03 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:12:04AM -0500, William Lovas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:36:25PM +0000, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> > Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> > >As a side note, I'd like to encourage OCaml library developers to consider
> > >providing GODI build instructions to Gerd. It is quite easy.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd just like something that says, 'A GODI package consists of X [a
> > tar.gz file?]  It must contain Y and Z.  Z must be in this format...'
> > and so on.
>
> For the record, Owen Gunden and I are working on a tool (with
> documentation!) that will significantly simplify the creation of GODI
> packages.  Expect a release in a few days' time.

Hello,

Have you any extended description of the tool to come ? ( any web pages,
documentation ).

I would have have a look at it ( just for my personnal culture ).

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-03 11:16       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-12-03 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:12:04AM -0500, William Lovas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:36:25PM +0000, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> > Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> > >As a side note, I'd like to encourage OCaml library developers to consider
> > >providing GODI build instructions to Gerd. It is quite easy.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'd just like something that says, 'A GODI package consists of X [a
> > tar.gz file?]  It must contain Y and Z.  Z must be in this format...'
> > and so on.
>
> For the record, Owen Gunden and I are working on a tool (with
> documentation!) that will significantly simplify the creation of GODI
> packages.  Expect a release in a few days' time.

Will it also help with creating debian packages ?

No idea what a GODI packages looks like though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-03  7:49 ` Byron Hale
From: Byron Hale @ 2003-12-03  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Gerd Stolpmann

GODI seems on the way to becoming indispensable. However, I was unable to
get it to work under SuSE 9.0. I am a bit annoyed with Red Hat and would
like to see this work on SuSE as well.

I'll bee glad to help, but I can't begin until December 9th.

Byron Hale

At 11:35 PM 12/2/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello list,
>
>GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated with
>the following packages:
>
>- godi-ulex (Lexical analysis with Unicode)
>- godi-curl (Bindings for the CURL library)
>
>Thanks to Alain Frisch who contributed both packages.
>
>To install these packages, just go into the godi_console, get the new
>list of available packages, and select the mentioned packages for
>build.
>
>Gerd
>
>GODI homepage: http://ocaml-programming.de/godi/
>--

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-03  5:12     ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2003-12-03  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:36:25PM +0000, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> Alain.Frisch@ens.fr wrote:
> >As a side note, I'd like to encourage OCaml library developers to consider
> >providing GODI build instructions to Gerd. It is quite easy.
>
> [...]
>
> I'd just like something that says, 'A GODI package consists of X [a
> tar.gz file?]  It must contain Y and Z.  Z must be in this format...'
> and so on.

For the record, Owen Gunden and I are working on a tool (with
documentation!) that will significantly simplify the creation of GODI
packages.  Expect a release in a few days' time.

cheers,
William

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-02 23:51     ` Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2003-12-02 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Geer; +Cc: Caml list

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Benjamin Geer wrote:

> I'd love to, but I can't find a document that explains how to do that.
> I've read the README.devel, but it's not clear to me which parts of it
> are talking about the development of GODI itself, and which parts are
> explaining how to make a GODI package.  There's a section called 'What
> to put in the Makefile' that looks relevant, but I'm wondering:  Which
> Makefile?  What do I need besides a Makefile?

Of course, Gerd will be able to provide a better answer himself, but here
is what I learnt.

You're responsible for the whole build directory except the work/
subdirectory (cf "The build directory in detail" in README.devel). AFAIK,
all the information in README.devel are relevant to make a GODI package (I
cannot see anything about the developement of GODI itself in this file).

I suggest to start from an existing package of the "same shape". For
instance, if you want to package a library which is a binding to a C
library which may need to be installed, you can start from the pcre
packages (conf-pcre, base-pcre, godi-pcre). If the library is pure OCaml,
you can start from godi-pxp. If the library needs the OCaml sources,
start from godi-wlex.

You'll need to do "bmake makesums" in you fresh build directory to
generate checksums for the files to be downloaded.

You can test your new package with godi_console by adding a line to the
file available.current, before sending the .tgz file to Gerd.

-- Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-02 23:36   ` Benjamin Geer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Benjamin Geer @ 2003-12-02 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Frisch; +Cc: Caml list, info

@ 2003-12-02 23:09 ` Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2003-12-02 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> GODI, the O'Caml source distribution, has been updated with
> the following packages:
>
> - godi-ulex (Lexical analysis with Unicode)
> - godi-curl (Bindings for the CURL library)
>
> Thanks to Alain Frisch who contributed both packages.

Just to avoid confusion: Lars Nilsson, from Quantum Chamaeleon, is the
author of the ocurl package. I only proposed build instructions for
GODI.

As a side note, I'd like to encourage OCaml library developers to consider
providing GODI build instructions to Gerd. It is quite easy. GODI is a
very nice system, extremely useful for people that need to work with
several architectures and cannot rely on binary packages for a specific
Linux distribution.

-- Alain

* [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-12-02 22:35 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-12-02 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2003-08-10 20:25                 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2003-08-10 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 17:35, Sven Luther wrote:

> Well, the idea is to hve a native cross compiler.
>
> The ocaml team is not interested by such a thing though.

they may well be: it might be better to say you don't think
they've made it a high priority. As you youself point out
building a cross compiler isn't a trivial exercise: building
a hosted compiler that works on many platforms is hard enough.

Still, eventually it should just be a matter of plugging
in a different code generator, represented by a dynamically
loadable shared library .. of course, Ocaml doesn't support
that yet for Ocaml code, so my guess is that dynamic loading
is probably a pre-requisite, and also more generally useful.

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-08-10  7:35               ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-08-10  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 11:11:15AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 07:16, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > What would be nice is to be able to use ocaml in this cross compiling
> > environment, so you could use all the nice unix development tools, and
> > then produce windows executables for the people who need it, preferably
> > in a nice tarball including the needed dlls, or even a windows-installer-magic
> > thingy.
>
> Well, you almost can: there is a bytecode compiler,
> and the bytecode objects produced are largely
> platform independent, and the bytecode interpreter

Well, the idea is to hve a native cross compiler. It should be able to
be done, the real problem is that ocaml uses various levels of
bootstraping, and thus tries to use the compiler to compile, which would
naturally not work in a cross compiling environment, unless you use
wine, that is.

@ 2003-08-10  1:11             ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2003-08-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 07:16, Sven Luther wrote:

> What would be nice is to be able to use ocaml in this cross compiling
> environment, so you could use all the nice unix development tools, and
> then produce windows executables for the people who need it, preferably
> in a nice tarball including the needed dlls, or even a windows-installer-magic
> thingy.

Well, you almost can: there is a bytecode compiler,
and the bytecode objects produced are largely
platform independent, and the bytecode interpreter
is pretty fast. I guess this works best for products
that don't need OS dependent resources much (like GUI
widgets or processes).

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-08-09 21:16           ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-08-09 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander V. Voinov; +Cc: Dmitry Bely, caml-list

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:44:17AM -0700, Alexander V. Voinov wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> And in general, the developers (/porters) environment is different from one
> where the application is supposed to run. It is quite reasonable to assume
> (and therefore insist :-) that some easily available tools are present
> within the former, and it is also reasonable [to try to] not to depend on
> them for the latter (in favor for mingw, in this case).

My personal preference on this subject would be to do cross compilation
from linux. Debian includes a nice mingw32 cross compiler, which enabled
me to produce smallish C and gtk+ 2 programs, which run fine under both
win32 and wine. Well wine has some problems with the fonts, but under
windows they work well. They need the gtk+ dlls though.

@ 2003-08-09 18:44         ` Alexander V. Voinov
From: Alexander V. Voinov @ 2003-08-09 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Bely; +Cc: caml-list

Hi All,

And in general, the developers (/porters) environment is different from one
where the application is supposed to run. It is quite reasonable to assume (and
therefore insist :-) that some easily available tools are present within the
former, and it is also reasonable [to try to] not to depend on them for the
latter (in favor for mingw, in this case).

Alexander

Dmitry Bely wrote:

>>>Simple answer: It is unwise to do the second step before the first.
>>>Using Cygwin means that you have a full POSIX environment (Unix tools,
>>>libraries), but there are already typical Windows problems, e.g.
>>>filename conventions, CRLF, etc. Solve these first!
>>
>>Okay. I trust that you know what you are talking about, but I still
>>don't really understand. By saying "there are already ..." are you
>>implying that the "typical Windows problems" become worse when using
>>MinGW?
>

> No. But in case of MinGW/MSVC you have a bunch of other problems: no
> configure scripts, different Ocaml compilation process (manual editing of
> config files, makefile.nt instead of makefile) etc. As GODI has come from
> UNIX world, cygwin (or maybe MSYS) is the only chance to use it under
> Windows.
>

>>And further, are these problems that can actually be solved,
>>or simply worked around.
>>

>>>For the build environment, it is unlikely that we ever get rid of
>>>Cygwin.
>>
>>I thought that MinGW came with gcc, gnu make, and so on. Am I mistaken,
>>or are they poorly implemented, or what?
>

> AFAIK sh needed to run configure scripts simply does not exist in the
> "native" form (as well as many other gnu utilities). Its design is based on
> fork() syscall that cannot be easily emulated under Win32.
>
> Of course, a packaging tool entirely written in Ocaml would be preferable,
> but it will probably require too much efforts. So UNIX-style tool is better
> than nothing.
>
> - Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-08-09 18:06       ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2003-08-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2003-08-09 17:05     ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-08-09 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 11:04:38AM +0200, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

> > Why Cygwin, rather than MinGW?
> >
> Simple answer: It is unwise to do the second step before the first.
> Using Cygwin means that you have a full POSIX environment (Unix tools,
> libraries), but there are already typical Windows problems, e.g.
> filename conventions, CRLF, etc. Solve these first!

Okay. I trust that you know what you are talking about, but I still
don't really understand. By saying "there are already ..." are you
implying that the "typical Windows problems" become worse when using
MinGW? And further, are these problems that can actually be solved,
or simply worked around.

> For the build environment, it is unlikely that we ever get rid of
> Cygwin.

I thought that MinGW came with gcc, gnu make, and so on. Am I mistaken,
or are they poorly implemented, or what?

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-08-09  9:04   ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-08-09  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee; +Cc: caml-list

Am Fre, 2003-08-08 um 23.37 schrieb Matt Gushee:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 11:20:01PM +0200, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> >
> > the GODI repositories are now accessible from the Internet:
> > https://gps.dynxs.de
>
> Very cool. Haven't tried it yet, but I mean to one of these days.
>
> > now to continue this way, and to collect build instructions, and
> > to add user-friendly GUIs on top of the existing command-
> > line infrastructure. Last but not least a Cygwin port should
> > be tried.
>
> Why Cygwin, rather than MinGW?
>
> I confess I don't have a very good understanding of the issues--
> I've tried Cygwin, but only read about MinGW--but it seems to
> me that in general MinGW should be preferred for its lightweight-
> ness and because (apparently) it enables you to create native
> Win32 executables.

Simple answer: It is unwise to do the second step before the first.
Using Cygwin means that you have a full POSIX environment (Unix tools,
libraries), but there are already typical Windows problems, e.g.
filename conventions, CRLF, etc. Solve these first!

For the build environment, it is unlikely that we ever get rid of
Cygwin. It is possible, however, that the runtime environment (i.e.
O'Caml itself, and the tools for binary packages) are MinGW-based while
the build tools are still Cygwin-based. (A very typical setup for
MinGW.) That would allow us to create a binary MinGW distribution.

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI news
@ 2003-08-08 21:37 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-08-08 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

@ 2003-08-08 21:20 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-08-08 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

the GODI repositories are now accessible from the Internet:
https://gps.dynxs.de

I am using subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org) as
revision control system, so you need a subversion client to
fully access the repository (should be available for most
distros). For more instructions see https://gps.dynxs.de.
It is also possible to access the repository with an
arbitrary WebDAV client, or just with your browser.

The repository allows everybody to add build instructions
for packages one would like to see in GODI. A short
tutorial is also available at
https://gps.dynxs.de/projects/godi/README.devel .

I know that not everything is yet perfect in GODI; Yes, it
is too Unixish, but nobody has shown a better way that
(a) works also for the complicated packages, and (b) would
not mean a huge amount of work to realize it. So I propose
now to continue this way, and to collect build instructions, and
to add user-friendly GUIs on top of the existing command-
line infrastructure. Last but not least a Cygwin port should
be tried.

In the case there is interest for a mailing list, I can
open one. Please let me know in this case.

Gerd