* [Caml-list] Closure & Ref
@ 2003-11-17 19:37 chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-11-17 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I was toying with ocaml just now and have successfully written a
function that takes and int that produces a function that takes an int
to add to the original.

let prodAdd x =
    let value = ref x in
       fun y -> !value + y;;

Now I want to do a function that takes a ref to a list and returns a
function that adds items to the list and produce a function that returns
another that returns the list.  How do I do that?

let prod_list_acc a =
   fun x -> a := x :: !a; true;;

let return_acc a =
   fun () -> !a;;

but that gives a "unit -> int list" =.  How do you get a copy of the
list values?

This might seem like a crazy thing to do but I am toying with an idea
relating to a paper I read on traits.  Instead of having classes at all
you can just have traits, closures and mutable values.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] Closure & Ref
@ 2003-11-17 21:02 ` Dustin Sallings
From: Dustin Sallings @ 2003-11-17 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.danx; +Cc: caml-list

On Nov 17, 2003, at 11:37, chris.danx wrote:

> let prodAdd x =
>    let value = ref x in
>       fun y -> !value + y;;

	This is very similar to

let prodAdd x y = x + y;;

	The only difference is that I'm making a reference with the value of x.

# let prodAdd x = let value = ref x in fun y -> !value + y;;
val prodAdd : int -> int -> int = <fun>
# let prodAdd2 x y = x + y;;
val prodAdd2 : int -> int -> int = <fun>
# prodAdd 1 2;;
- : int = 3
# prodAdd2 1 2;;
- : int = 3
# prodAdd 1;;
- : int -> int = <fun>
# prodAdd2 1;;
- : int -> int = <fun>

> Now I want to do a function that takes a ref to a list and returns a
> function that adds items to the list and produce a function that
> returns another that returns the list.  How do I do that?
>
> let prod_list_acc a =
>   fun x -> a := x :: !a; true;;
>
> let return_acc a =
>   fun () -> !a;;
>
> but that gives a "unit -> int list" =.  How do you get a copy of the
> list values?
>

> This might seem like a crazy thing to do but I am toying with an idea
> relating to a paper I read on traits.  Instead of having classes at
> all you can just have traits, closures and mutable values.

	That's not a very functional style.  It does seem to work for me with
the following syntax, though:

  # let list_acc a x = a := x :: !a; ();;
val list_acc : 'a list ref -> 'a -> unit = <fun>
# let return_list a = !a;;
val return_list : 'a ref -> 'a = <fun>
# return_list a;;
- : int list = [1; 2; 3; 4; 5]
# list_acc a 6;;
- : unit = ()
# return_list a;;
- : int list = [6; 1; 2; 3; 4; 5]

--
Dustin Sallings

* Re: [Caml-list] Closure & Ref
@ 2003-11-17 21:35   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2003-11-17 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Hurt; +Cc: caml-list

Brian Hurt wrote:

> Since you're not setting the reference, why have one?  Instead, try:
>
> let prodAdd x = fun y -> x + y
>
> But we can do it simpler than that:
>
> let prodAdd x y = x + y
>
> And use partial function application.  (prodAdd 4) returns a function
> which adds 4 to whatever int parameter passed to it.

I didn't know OCaml had partial function application, thanks!  I have
programmed in Haskell before, but never got seriously into it (the
things I wanted to do like IO where "advanced" in Haskell, whereas
they're basic to me.  That's one reason I want to learn OCaml, it
doesn't so hard to do trivial interaction).

> This allows you to have multiple different lists being constructed
> independently.  Note, the above code is actually more generic than it
> looks- I had to add an explicit type statement to make it "come out
> correct".  Without the explicit type information:
>
> let make_listacc () =
>         let r = ref [] in
>         let acc x = r := x :: !r
>         and lst () = !r
>         in acc, lst
> ;;
>
> The function is both clearer than the original, and creates lists of any
> type, not just ints.  If you hear me bitching about C++ and Java making
> generics "special and extraordinary", this is a classic example of what
> I'm kvetching about.

I hear you.  From my previous spell in FP I really got to like the ease
of "generics" which are inconvient in C++ and a pain in Ada.  GUIs and
IO was just easier.

[snip]

> If you want to access specific members of a list (other than the head), I
> wouldn't recommend using a list, but instead some other datastructure (an
> array or hash table being the obvious choices).

It was just a toy example to see if I could get that aspect of this idea
to work in OCaml.  Hmm...

Thanks!

* Re: [Caml-list] Closure & Ref
@ 2003-11-17 21:43 ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2003-11-17 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chris.danx; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, chris.danx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was toying with ocaml just now and have successfully written a
> function that takes and int that produces a function that takes an int
> to add to the original.
>
> let prodAdd x =
>     let value = ref x in
>        fun y -> !value + y;;

Since you're not setting the reference, why have one?  Instead, try:

let prodAdd x = fun y -> x + y

But we can do it simpler than that:

let prodAdd x y = x + y

And use partial function application.  (prodAdd 4) returns a function
which adds 4 to whatever int parameter passed to it.

> Now I want to do a function that takes a ref to a list and returns a
> function that adds items to the list and produce a function that returns
> another that returns the list.  How do I do that?
>
> let prod_list_acc a =
>    fun x -> a := x :: !a; true;;
>
> let return_acc a =
>    fun () -> !a;;
>
> but that gives a "unit -> int list" =.  How do you get a copy of the
> list values?

Now you're setting the reference.  But prod_list_acc and return_acc need
to share the reference.

Now, I for one, hate globals.  This is the result of programming for years
in C.  What I would do is write a function which returns a tuple of two
functions, and accumlator function and a current list function, like:

let make_listacc () =
	let r: int list ref = ref [] in
	let acc x = r := x :: !r
	and lst () = !r
	in acc, lst
;;

This allows you to have multiple different lists being constructed
independently.  Note, the above code is actually more generic than it
looks- I had to add an explicit type statement to make it "come out
correct".  Without the explicit type information:

let make_listacc () =
        let r = ref [] in
        let acc x = r := x :: !r
        and lst () = !r
        in acc, lst
;;

The function is both clearer than the original, and creates lists of any
type, not just ints.  If you hear me bitching about C++ and Java making
generics "special and extraordinary", this is a classic example of what
I'm kvetching about.

You'd use make_listacc like:

	let my_acc, my_list = make_listacc() in
	my_acc 3;
	my_acc 4;
	my_acc 5;
	my_list ()
	;;

The above code returns [5;4;3] (note, the list is built backward!).

The most common way to access members of a list is to use what is called
"list comprehensions".  Don't let the names fool you- these are just
functions that walk the list and do something on every element of the
list.  Look at List.iter and List.fold_left.  So let's say I want to take
a list of ints and sum them.  I could simply do:
	List.fold_left (fun x y -> x + y) 0 lst

Note that + is just a function, so I could just as easily have done:
	List.fold_left (+) 0 lst
to do the same thing.

The second most common way to access members of a list is to write a short
recursive function.  Say I wanted to know if the list contained a given
number.  I might write:
	let rec has_num x = function
		| [] -> false
		| h :: t -> if (h == x) then true else has_num x t
	;;

If you want to access specific members of a list (other than the head), I
wouldn't recommend using a list, but instead some other datastructure (an
array or hash table being the obvious choices).

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] Closure & Ref
@ 2003-11-17 21:48   ` Dustin Sallings
From: Dustin Sallings @ 2003-11-17 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dustin Sallings; +Cc: caml-list, chris.danx

On Nov 17, 2003, at 13:02, Dustin Sallings wrote:

>> let prodAdd x =
>>    let value = ref x in
>>       fun y -> !value + y;;
>
> 	This is very similar to
>
> let prodAdd x y = x + y;;
>
> 	The only difference is that I'm making a reference with the value of
> x.

	I don't know what happened to this sentence.  It should read something
more like, ``The only difference is that you're making a reference with
the value of x unnecessarily.''

--
Dustin Sallings