* [Caml-list] [3.06] Is there a difference in weak array implementation between the bytecode and native code?
@ 2003-12-17  6:45 Aleksey Nogin
From: Aleksey Nogin @ 2003-12-17  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I am looking for help tracking a Weak-related bug.

For couple of years already our group is having trouble tracking some
very elusive bug. Once in a while (quite rarely) in some big Weak
array-based code something goes wrong (we get a wrong value). Sometimes
the bug is completely random - an identical run does not reproduce it.
Sometime it is reproducible in a specific case, but whenever something
changes (e.g. any sort of debugging code is added), it goes away. It
seems that the bug only occurs in bytecode, but never occurs in native
code. So far we've been seeing it only under 3.06 (there are some other
issues preventing us from switching to 3.07).

I do not know whether this is a bug in our code, in OCaml code, or our
code is making some assumptions about the OCaml runtime that are
reasonable, but not true...

Anyway, I am wondering - is there some difference between the bytecode
and native code in how the Weak module behaves (in 3.06)? Anything that
could shed some light on why it is the case that we only see this weird
bug under bytecode?

TIA!

--
Aleksey Nogin

Home Page: http://nogin.org/
E-Mail: nogin@cs.caltech.edu (office), aleksey@nogin.org (personal)
Office: Jorgensen 70, tel: (626) 395-2907

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-12-17  6:45 UTC | newest]