* [Caml-list] Toplevel question ...
@ 2002-02-28 15:49 Andrzej M. Ostruszka
From: Andrzej M. Ostruszka @ 2002-02-28 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hi,

Is there some alias in toplevel for the result of last evaluation so one
could use it instead of retyping (there's no history completion :() and
binding to some name?

I never thought I'll use OCaml for what I'm doing (theoretical physics -
no data analysis) but right now I'm doing some symbolic dynamics for
Markov chains and it is much more comfortable to do it in OCaml then in
Matlab (cause of 'a list :)).

						Best regards
--
    ____   _  ___
   /  | \_/ |/ _ \		Andrzej Marek Ostruszka

* Re: [Caml-list] Toplevel question ...
@ 2002-03-01  9:36 ` Tomasz Zielonka
From: Tomasz Zielonka @ 2002-03-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 04:49:22PM +0100, Andrzej M. Ostruszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some alias in toplevel for the result of last evaluation so one
> could use it instead of retyping (there's no history completion :() and
> binding to some name?

Lack of history can be easily solved - use ledit:

ftp://ftp.inria.fr/INRIA/Projects/cristal/Daniel.de_Rauglaudre/Tools/ledit.tar.gz

regards,
tom

* [Caml-list] Re: Toplevel question ...
@ 2002-03-02 10:25   ` Andrzej M. Ostruszka
From: Andrzej M. Ostruszka @ 2002-03-02 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Fri, Mar 01 (2002), Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> > Is there some alias in toplevel for the result of last evaluation so one
> > could use it instead of retyping (there's no history completion :() and
> > binding to some name?
>
> Lack of history can be easily solved - use ledit:

I'll use this mail as an opportunity to thank to all who suggested me
ledit cause this somewhat improves situation but it is still not what I
wanted :) (I want to avoid recomputing of the result).

If there no solution for it then I'll force myself to think before
typing (which I belive is not that bad policy :)) and bind result if it
can cost much of the cputime.

					Best regards
--
    ____   _  ___

@ 2002-03-06 10:24 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-03-06 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: zielony

> Is there some alias in toplevel for the result of last evaluation so one
> could use it instead of retyping (there's no history completion :() and
> binding to some name?

The original Caml V3.1 had such a facility -- all results of toplevel
evaluations were bound to the name "it".  This was removed in Caml
Light because of the way Caml Light handles toplevel binding: all
bindings accumulate forever, preventing the GC from reclaiming the
memory space used.  Early versions of Objective Caml had the same
problem as Caml Light, but this was fixed in version 3.01: only the
values of lexically visible toplevel definitions are kept.

So, technically, it would be feasible to resurrect the Caml V3.1
behavior: evaluating "expr ;;" at top-level binds the result value to
the name "it".  Do others think that it would be useful?

- Xavier Leroy

* RE: [Caml-list] Toplevel question ...
@ 2002-03-06 10:41   ` Mattias Waldau
From: Mattias Waldau @ 2002-03-06 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Xavier Leroy', 'Caml List'; +Cc: zielony

So it would be as if

expr ;;

whould have been written as

let it = expr ;;

in the top-level. Since I currently often write

let x = expr ;;

it would save me 9 keystrokes. I think it is a good idea.

(But I think that soon people would ask you to keep all the
lines, so that we would write it.(4) instead.)

/mattias

@ 2002-03-06 17:33   ` shiv
From: shiv @ 2002-03-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wednesday, March 6, 2002, at 02:24 AM, Xavier Leroy wrote:

> Do others think that it would be useful?

Yes, it would be useful for me. I have a matlab-like top-level and it
would save me a lot of key-strokes.

--shiv--

* RE: [Caml-list] Toplevel question ...
@ 2002-03-06 16:48 Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2002-03-06 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mattias Waldau', 'Xavier Leroy', 'Caml List'
  Cc: zielony, Harrison, John R

| So, technically, it would be feasible to resurrect the Caml V3.1
| behavior: evaluating "expr ;;" at top-level binds the result
| value to the name "it".  Do others think that it would be useful?

As I've said, I really like the "it" feature. It's also difficult to
imagine anyone seriously objecting to it, given that the Caml Light

misfeature of being unable to GC objects only accessible via overwritten

toplevel bindings has been corrected. I hadn't noticed that change

before, but I'm very pleased to see it.

| (But I think that soon people would ask you to keep all the
| lines, so that we would write it.(4) instead.)

If some more elaborate solution like that were contemplated, I'd like
an option to disable it or manually force forgetting and GC of earlier
items.

John.