* [Caml-list] packing modules as a functor
@ 2011-08-22  8:35 Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2011-08-22  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Thomas Gazagnaire

  We have recently worked on the OCaml compiler to allow packing
compilation units inside a functor. This work extends the current -pack
option with a new -pack-functor option, that will generate a compilation
unit, containing a functor composed of independent compilation units
(compiled with a new -functor option).

  As we are looking for feedback on the utility of this feature, we have
written a small page to release the patch and describe how to use it:

http://www.ocamlpro.com/code/2011-08-10-ocaml-pack-functors.html

  There are also two additional features in the patch: (1) you can use
-i on interface files (.cmi) instead of only sources, and (2) you can
use -pack to generate an interface file (.cmi) from other interface files.

  The page has also a link to "ocp-pack", a simple program to pack
sources instead of compilation units, to achieve the same result as the
-pack and -pack-functor options. Note that, if you have recursive
dependencies between compilation units (usually achieved by hidden
dependencies between abstract types), you will need a patched OCaml to
be able to compile the new source (the patch is also provided).

Enjoy and send us some feedback !
Fabrice
--
Scientific Advisor for OCamlPro SAS