* [Caml-list] can't #load some library files
@ 2003-07-09 16:36 GL7: David Elsdon
From: GL7: David Elsdon @ 2003-07-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi

I am using the native Windows build of ocaml version 3.06. I get an error
when I try to load graphics.cma at the top level. Here's what happens.

D:\Work in progress\Ocaml projects>ocaml
         Objective Caml version 3.06
# #load "graphics.cma";;
Cannot load required shared library: A device attached to the system is not
func
tioning.
.
#

I get the same problem with bigarray.cma, nums.cma and str.cma whereas I
can load dynlink.cma and labltk.cma with no problem.

I wonder whether not have visual C++ installed on my system has anything to
do with the problem. Maybe some dll needed to load graphics.cma is missing ??

Any thoughts ??

Can anybody tell me more about what the error message really means ??

Cheers

David

* Re: [Caml-list] can't #load some library files
@ 2003-07-10  9:47 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-07-10  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GL7: David Elsdon; +Cc: caml-list

> I am using the native Windows build of ocaml version 3.06. I get an error
> when I try to load graphics.cma at the top level. Here's what happens.
>
> D:\Work in progress\Ocaml projects>ocaml
>          Objective Caml version 3.06
> # #load "graphics.cma";;
> Cannot load required shared library: A device attached to the system is not
> functioning.
> I wonder whether not have visual C++ installed on my system has
> anything to do with the problem. Maybe some dll needed to load
> graphics.cma is missing ??

Yes, this denotes a problem while loading the DLL "dllgraphics.dll",
which normalyy should be in the lib/ or lib/stublibs subdirs of the
OCaml installation directory.

The error message is obscure but that's the one returned by Windows
itself.

And, no, you don't need VC++ installed for this to work.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] can't #load some library files
@ 2003-07-19 22:41   ` GL7: David Elsdon
From: GL7: David Elsdon @ 2003-07-19 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

At 10/07/03 11:47, you wrote:
> > I am using the native Windows build of ocaml version 3.06. I get an error
> > when I try to load graphics.cma at the top level. Here's what happens.
> >
> > D:\Work in progress\Ocaml projects>ocaml
> >          Objective Caml version 3.06
> > # #load "graphics.cma";;
> > Cannot load required shared library: A device attached to the system is
> not
> > functioning.
> > I wonder whether not have visual C++ installed on my system has
> > anything to do with the problem. Maybe some dll needed to load
> > graphics.cma is missing ??
>
>Yes, this denotes a problem while loading the DLL "dllgraphics.dll",
>which normalyy should be in the lib/ or lib/stublibs subdirs of the
>OCaml installation directory.

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the help. "dllgraphics.dll" was in lib/ as well as lib/stublibs.
The problem was that the version in lib/ was an old one. Copying all the
dll*.dll files from lib/stublibs into lib/ solves the problem as far as I
can tell.

Should I formally report this as a problem with the native Win32
distribution or is reporting the problem on this list sufficient.

Cheers

David