* [Caml-list] Ubuntu + Batteries ... missing (?) Batteries_uni module
@ 2013-10-31 19:06 Matej Kosik
From: Matej Kosik @ 2013-10-31 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

My colleague recently updated his Ubuntu box and, after upgrade, he noticed that he cannot compile my Ocaml programs, which rely on Batteries.

I looked into the matter and noticed a version mismatch

  libbatteries-ocaml-dev version 1.4.3-1 in Debian 8 (my machine)
  http://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libbatteries-ocaml-dev/filelist

  libbatteries-ocaml-dev version 2.0-1 in Ubuntu 13 (his machine)
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/amd64/libbatteries-ocaml-dev/filelist

Compilation failure is related to the fact that

  Batteries_uni

module is not present.

  # This:
  #
  #   apt-file search batteries_uni.cmi
  #
  # does not return anything on Ubuntu 13 whereas on Debian 8 it returns:
  #
  #   libbatteries-ocaml-dev: /usr/lib/ocaml/batteries/batteries_uni.cmi

so he is getting:

  Error: Unbound module Batteries_uni

I understand that the versions of the library are different (1.4.3-1 vs 2.0-1) so the API can be incompatible,
although missing Batteries_uni module is surprising because it is not declared to be removed from the latest Batteries version:

  http://ocaml-batteries-team.github.io/batteries-included/hdoc/Batteries_uni.html

I would like to ask whether this situation is correct (and I should not rely on Batteries_uni module anymore) or it is a ommision (breakage) in Ubuntu package?

Thanks in advance for the help.

* Re: [Caml-list] Ubuntu + Batteries ... missing (?) Batteries_uni module
@ 2013-10-31 20:43 ` Jacques-Pascal Deplaix
From: Jacques-Pascal Deplaix @ 2013-10-31 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Batteries_uni is now Batteries.

The api documentation that you linked is the one for batteries 1.X, the
api documentation for batteries 2 is here:

   http://ocaml-batteries-team.github.io/batteries-included/hdoc2/

Cheers,