* [Caml-list] [ANN] Introduction to Functional Programming in OCaml, a MOOC
@ 2015-07-22  7:55 Roberto Di Cosmo
From: Roberto Di Cosmo @ 2015-07-22  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

We are very pleased to announce the massive, open, online course

  Introduction to Functional Programming in OCaml

the first MOOC entirely devoted to our beloved OCaml programming language.

All the information on the course, including a teaser video, is available at

   https://www.france-universite-numerique-mooc.fr/courses/parisdiderot/56002/session01/about

The course is in english, starts from the basics, and goes on for seven weeks up
to the module system.

An interactive exercise environment will allow to do the exercises in the
browser, with an online evaluation integrated in the learning system; as you
expect, this is based on tryocaml and js_of_ocaml, and is a unique
distinguishing feature of this MOOC.

The learning platform happens to be called FUN (yes, great to have fun with
functional programming :-)), that is a variant of Open EdX run by the french
ministry of education.

The registration is open, and the course will start on October 19th.

We finally have a MOOC on OCaml, a great tool to bring functional
programming and our preferred programming language to a wide audience:
now, let's tell the world! Use your social networks, mailing lists,
professional and non professional conferences to spread the world.

And see you soon for our first course :-)

--
Roberto Di Cosmo, Yann Regis-Gianas and Ralf Treinen

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Introduction to Functional Programming in OCaml, a MOOC
@ 2015-07-22 15:10 ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2015-07-22 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Di Cosmo; +Cc: caml-list

-[ Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 09:55:30AM +0200, Roberto Di Cosmo ]----
>    https://www.france-universite-numerique-mooc.fr/courses/parisdiderot/56002/session01/about

Would this be possible to reference this MOOC on some other online education
services such as edx or coursera, that have more visibility?

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] Introduction to Functional Programming in OCaml, a MOOC
@ 2015-07-22 17:26 ` Daniil Baturin
From: Daniil Baturin @ 2015-07-22 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

That's really cool, subscribed.

Are you planning to make a Coq MOOC in the future?

@ 2015-07-22 17:36   ` Kenneth Adam Miller
From: Kenneth Adam Miller @ 2015-07-22 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniil Baturin; +Cc: caml users

I'm all in for a Coq MOOC :)

By the way, here's an excellent page with lots of videos of Coq, formal
methods and mathematics from the best of the best.
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/summerschool/summer12/curriculum.html

@ 2015-07-22 18:53     ` Daniil Baturin
From: Daniil Baturin @ 2015-07-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Oregon Summer School is great, but the best part of MOOCs is the homework.
Once you have some experience, you can make up toy problems and verify
the correctness of your solution yourself, but if you are new to
something else, well-defined toy problems and automated verification
help a lot to check if you got it right and to stay engaged.