* [Caml-list] native dynlink
       [not found] <201102061100.p16B00dj028912@walapai.inria.fr>
@ 2011-02-06 11:15 ` CUOQ Pascal
From: CUOQ Pascal @ 2011-02-06 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Nicolas Ojeda Bar <nojb@math.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to build Ocaml 3.12.0 with native dynlink, but
> ./configure refuses to do so. Is native dynlink working? I'm trying
> this on a 32bit X86 running OS X.

Native dynlink of 32-bit is unsupported in Snow Leopard.
Apple simply removed the support for the necessary option
in the linker when transitioning from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

As far as I know, and I have played with these options quite
a bit, the configure script is optimal: you can try forcing it,
but you are likely to get a compiler that silently produces
binaries that don't work.

Pascal

* Re: [Caml-list] native dynlink
       [not found]         ` <FE132A19-256E-409E-B421-5BAE086AC8DB@math.harvard.edu>
@ 2011-02-06 11:17           ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2011-02-06 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Ojeda Bar; +Cc: caml-list

On Feb 6, 2011, at 8:33 AM, Nicolas Ojeda Bar wrote:

> I tried reinstalling ocaml, but (as you can see in the output of the configure script),
> it doesn't support native dynlink on my platform (32bit, OS X). I found in

Use 64-bit binaries? Mac OSX is perfectly capable of dealing with them, even in 32-bit kernel mode.

ocamlopt -I +camlp4 dynlink.cmxa camlp4lib.cmxa -pp camlp4of foo.ml
ls foo*
foo.cmi	foo.cmx	foo.ml	foo.o

uname -a
Darwin biggie.local 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:13:17 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_I386 i386

file foo.o
foo.o: Mach-O 64-bit object x86_64

- mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and user-land usb drivers
---------------------+------------+---------------------------------------
http://wagerlabs.com | @wagerlabs | http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont
---------------------+------------+---------------------------------------

* Re: [Caml-list] native dynlink
@ 2011-02-05 19:42   ` Joel Reymont
       [not found]     ` <300769D8-9CD2-49F8-A398-F6AE659861BB@math.harvard.edu>
From: Joel Reymont @ 2011-02-05 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basile Starynkevitch; +Cc: Nicolas Ojeda Bar, caml-list

Nicolas,

Paste the console output to http://gist.github.com or http://pastie.org and send us the link.

@ 2011-02-05 19:21 ` Basile Starynkevitch
From: Basile Starynkevitch @ 2011-02-05 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Ojeda Bar; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:03:21 -0500
Nicolas Ojeda Bar <nojb@math.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build Ocaml 3.12.0 with native dynlink, but
> ./configure refuses to do so. Is native dynlink working? I'm trying
> this on a 32bit X86 running OS X.

I am not familiar with the ugly details of MacOSX.

I would imagine that native dynlinking requires a system with dlopen, and perhaps ELF format.

Perhaps there are some tricks on MacOSX to give you a dlopen interface.

But perhaps native dynlinking is not working on MacOSX.

Regards.

PS. A similar problem is the support of GCC plugins. AFAIK, MacOSX don't have them because of lack of native dlopen (but Macos provides an "emulation", I leave you to learn the details).

*** opinions {are only mine, sont seulement les miennes} ***

* [Caml-list] native dynlink
@ 2011-02-05 19:03 Nicolas Ojeda Bar
From: Nicolas Ojeda Bar @ 2011-02-05 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm trying to build Ocaml 3.12.0 with native dynlink, but
./configure refuses to do so. Is native dynlink working? I'm trying
this on a 32bit X86 running OS X.

Thanks!