* [Caml-list] Would it be possible to add automatic, region-based memory management to OCaml?
@ 2018-04-09  5:20 ligand
From: ligand @ 2018-04-09  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear list,

Would it be possible to have automatic, region-based memory management
in OCaml?

Also, would it have a better run-time performance than using the current
GC?

Would it completely replace the GC or would the two systems have to
cohabit?

I have seen even optimized OCaml programs spend 20% of their time doing
GC.
I wonder if parts of those 20% could go away.

This is an honest question, I am not a PL/compiler expert.

Here is some bibliography that I could find or that was advised
to me:

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=268946.268949
http://www.elsman.com/mlkit/pdf/mlkit-4.3.0.pdf
http://www.elsman.com/pdf/pldi2002.pdf

Of course, I don't want to have to annotate source code in any way.
I am thinking about a static analysis pass.

Regards,
Francois.