* [Caml-list] C++ for Ocaml FFI bindings
@ 2017-01-03  5:54 Chet Murthy
From: Chet Murthy @ 2017-01-03  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hi, I've been watching the discussions over the years regarding FFI
bindings from Ocaml.  I've built a ton of such bindings using Camlidl.
I've used some done using Ctypes.  And it's always hard.  But
recently, I've come to the conclusion that bindings against C++ would
be (shockingly, yes I know) -easier- than against C.

To demonstrate this, and because I had need of it, I've writte a
little IDL compiler, along with an example FFI wrappering of the C++
Rocksdb API.  Only as an example.  The code is raw, and really
.... raw.  But it works, works well, and is dreamily easy to add new
entry-points to.  I'm hoping that over the next few weeks, as I use
this, I'll add tests, more examples, and documentation.

  --> oboy, does it need documentation (if anybody but me is -ever-
      gonna use it)

Right now though, I just thought I'd send this note, to try to raise
the subject that ....

  Maybe C++ is a ripe target for FFIs from Ocaml?

I've released the code (such as it is) on Github:

https://github.com/chetmurthy/ocaml-cppffigen

https://github.com/chetmurthy/ocaml-rocksdb

Please don't take this as an advertisement for the code.  But do take
it as an advertisement for the -idea-.

Cheers,
--chet--