* Unable to reach fixpoint building ocaml 3.11.2 on cygwin
@ 2010-01-26 15:19 Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2010-01-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make world seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not get any errors, but I get the following message:

make[2]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2/ocamldoc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
make compare
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
boot/ocamlc ocamlc differ: byte 137, line 2
Fixpoint not reached, try one more bootstrapping cycle.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'

I ran make bootstrap three times, with the same result each time then I repeated the whole process, and again got the same results.

Can anyone give me any advice?

   -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k@yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Unable to reach fixpoint building ocaml 3.11.2 on cygwin
@ 2010-01-26 15:42 ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2010-01-26 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Keith; +Cc: caml-list

Ed Keith <e_d_k@yahoo.com> writes:

> I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make world seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not get any errors, but I get the following message:
>
> make[2]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2/ocamldoc'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> make compare
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> boot/ocamlc ocamlc differ: byte 137, line 2
> Fixpoint not reached, try one more bootstrapping cycle.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
>
> I ran make bootstrap three times, with the same result each time then I repeated the whole process, and again got the same results.
>
> Can anyone give me any advice?
>
>    -EdK
>

> Ed Keith
> e_d_k@yahoo.com
>
> Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com

Maybe just fix all timestamps:

touch foo
find -exec touch -r foo "{}" \;
rm foo
make clean
make world

MfG
        Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] Unable to reach fixpoint building ocaml 3.11.2 on cygwin
@ 2010-01-26 19:00   ` Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2010-01-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

> > I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make world
> seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not get
> any errors, but I get the following message:
> >
> > make[2]: warning:  Clock skew detected.
> Your build may be incomplete.
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2/ocamldoc'
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> > make compare
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> > boot/ocamlc ocamlc differ: byte 137, line 2
> > Fixpoint not reached, try one more bootstrapping
> cycle.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> >
> > I ran make bootstrap three times, with the same result
> each time then I repeated the whole process, and again got
> the same results.
> >
> > Can anyone give me any advice?
> >
> >    -EdK
> >

> > Ed Keith
> > e_d_k@yahoo.com
> >
> > Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com
>
> Maybe just fix all timestamps:
>
> touch foo
> find -exec touch -r foo "{}" \;
> rm foo
> make clean
> make world
>
> MfG
>         Goswin

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help.

Again make world seems to work but make bootstrap never reaches fixpoint.

Any other ideas?

@ 2010-01-26 19:22     ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2010-01-26 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-[ Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:00:07AM -0800, Ed Keith ]----
> > > boot/ocamlc ocamlc differ: byte 137, line 2
>
> Any other ideas?

Maybe looking at the diff more closely could bring some ?

* Re: [Caml-list] Unable to reach fixpoint building ocaml 3.11.2 on cygwin
@ 2010-01-26 19:36     ` Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2010-01-26 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > > I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make
> world
> > seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not
> get
> > any errors, but I get the following message:
> > >
> > > make[2]: warning:  Clock skew detected.
> > Your build may be incomplete.
> > > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2/ocamldoc'
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> > > make compare
> > > make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> > > boot/ocamlc ocamlc differ: byte 137, line 2
> > > Fixpoint not reached, try one more bootstrapping
> > cycle.
> > > make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/src/ocaml-3.11.2'
> > >
> > > I ran make bootstrap three times, with the same
> result
> > each time then I repeated the whole process, and again
> got
> > the same results.
> > >
> > > Can anyone give me any advice?
> > >
> > >    -EdK
> > >

> > > Ed Keith
> > > e_d_k@yahoo.com
> > >
> > > Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com
> >
> > Maybe just fix all timestamps:
> >
> > touch foo
> > find -exec touch -r foo "{}" \;
> > rm foo
> > make clean
> > make world
> >
> > MfG
> >         Goswin
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help.
>
> Again make world seems to work but make bootstrap never
> reaches fixpoint.
>
> Any other ideas?

I'm beginning to suspect this is some kind of artifact. I ran make opt, make opt.opt and make install and all appeared to succeed. Everything seems to have installed correctly. I am testing it now.

@ 2010-01-26 19:42 ` Alain Frisch
From: Alain Frisch @ 2010-01-26 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Keith; +Cc: caml-list

On 26/01/2010 16:19, Ed Keith wrote:
> I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make world seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not get any errors, but I get the following message:

COFF/PE files (Windows' objects and executables) contain a timestamp.
Bootstrapping will reach a fixpoint only modulo the timestamp. You can
see in Makefile.nt (used by MSVC and Mingw ports, not Cygwin) that
comparison is done by discarding the first 4096 bytes.

Btw, these timestamps force useless commands with build tools that rely
on file contents (like ocamlbuild or omake). LexiFi's version of
ocamlopt resets the timestamp on files that it produces so as to avoid
this problem.

Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Unable to reach fixpoint building ocaml 3.11.2 on cygwin
@ 2010-01-26 20:10   ` Ed Keith
From: Ed Keith @ 2010-01-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Frisch; +Cc: caml-list

> > I am trying to build ocaml 3.112 on cygwin. Make world
> seems to work fine, but when I make bootstrap I do not get
> any errors, but I get the following message:
>
> COFF/PE files (Windows' objects and executables) contain a
> timestamp. Bootstrapping will reach a fixpoint only modulo
> the timestamp. You can see in Makefile.nt (used by MSVC and
> Mingw ports, not Cygwin) that comparison is done by
> discarding the first 4096 bytes.
>
> Btw, these timestamps force useless commands with build
> tools that rely on file contents (like ocamlbuild or omake).
> LexiFi's version of ocamlopt resets the timestamp on files
> that it produces so as to avoid this problem.
>

> Alain

Thank you for the explanation.

   -EdK

Ed Keith