* [Caml-list] [ANN] The Scala programming language
@ 2004-01-22 13:54 Martin Odersky
From: Martin Odersky @ 2004-01-22 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

We'd like to announce availability of the first implementation of the
Scala programming language.  Scala smoothly integrates object-oriented
and functional programming. It is designed to express common
programming patterns in a concise, elegant, and type-safe way.  Scala
introduces several innovative language constructs. For instance:

- Abstract types and mixin composition unify ideas from object and
  module systems.

- Pattern matching over class hierarchies unifies functional and
  object-oriented data access. It greatly simplifies the processing of
  XML trees.

- A flexible syntax and type system enables the construction of
  advanced libraries and new domain specific languages.

At the same time, Scala is compatible with Java.  Java libraries and
frameworks can be used without glue code or additional declarations.

The current implementation of Scala runs on Java VM. It requires JDK
1.4 and can run on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Solaris, and most other
operating systems. A .net version of Scala is currently under
development.

For further information and downloads, please visit:

    scala.epfl.ch

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] The Scala programming language
@ 2004-01-22 17:43 ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2004-01-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Odersky; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

Martin Odersky <martin.odersky@epfl.ch> writes:

> We'd like to announce availability of the first implementation of the
> Scala programming language.

As far as I know, this mailing list is about the Caml languages family.

Your work might be interesting but is not related to this mailing list
and as such I consider it spam. Or you should have made, at least, a
comparison of this language with OCaml.

Sincerely yours,
david
--
 David Mentré <dmentre@linux-france.org>

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] The Scala programming language
@ 2004-01-22 20:50   ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2004-01-22 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: Martin Odersky, caml-list

> > We'd like to announce availability of the first implementation of the
> > Scala programming language.
>
> As far as I know, this mailing list is about the Caml languages family.

Martin and I discussed this issue before he posted.  It is true that
we discuss mostly (but not exclusively) Caml here, but I thought
a number of readers of this list might be interested by the work on
Scala, which attacks the problem of integrating OO, functional and
modular programming from a different angle than Caml, but with the
kind of rigour and principled foundations that we Caml folks like very
much.  So, if you think this announcement is spam, I'll share the
blame for that.

This said, further discussions on Scala itself are perhaps best
carried on the Scala mailing list.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] The Scala programming language
@ 2004-01-22 23:43     ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2004-01-22 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

On Thursday 22 January 2004 22:50, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> Martin and I discussed this issue before he posted.  It is true that
> we discuss mostly (but not exclusively) Caml here, but I thought
> a number of readers of this list might be interested by the work on
> Scala, which attacks the problem of integrating OO, functional and
> modular programming from a different angle than Caml, but with the
> kind of rigour and principled foundations that we Caml folks like very
> much.  So, if you think this announcement is spam, I'll share the
> blame for that.
>
> This said, further discussions on Scala itself are perhaps best
> carried on the Scala mailing list.

It is extremely interesting for language design hobbyists such as myself.
Scala seems to attack the problem at an exclusive angle. I heartily support
the effort of fellow researchers.

Regards,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] The Scala programming language
@ 2004-01-23  0:33       ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2004-01-23  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 23 January 2004 01:43, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> It is extremely interesting for language design hobbyists such as myself.
> Scala seems to attack the problem at an exclusive angle. I heartily support
> the effort of fellow researchers.

It is indeed  very general in its outlook. I felt a bit jealous I think.

I'm trying to design an architecture-independent compilation system for
functional languages. The most obvious application would be computational
linear algebra. High Performance Fortran can be surpassed!

--

@ 2004-01-23  7:19     ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2004-01-23  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy, The Trade

On 22 Jan 2004, at 12:50, Xavier Leroy wrote:

> This said, further discussions on Scala itself are perhaps best
> carried on the Scala mailing list.

I like Caml syntax better.

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
that's my village calling... no doubt, they want their idiot back.