* [Caml-list] Modifying heap from custom finalizers?
@ 2003-12-29  8:25 Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2003-12-29  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am wonder how evil of a deed would I be doing to the garbage
collector by modifying the heap in the finalizer of a custom block.

Apparently the finalizers are run during the sweep phase of the major
garbage collector. If I there change a value from the global table to
the unit value - I think the worst I can make happen is that the value
pointed by it does not get reclaimed in the same garbage collection
cycle. But, what about anything more? Assigning values? Creating new
values? Do I have to make sure the small heap stays empty? And if
zeroing the value at sweep phase makes the values pointed by it
garbage collected only at the next collection, is there any I can
speed up the process?

I could find no documentation what you can and what you can't do in
the finalizers for custom blocks.

TIA,
-- Naked