* Re: [Caml-list] Développement d'applications avec Objective  Caml... [< >] in 3.04?
@ 2002-02-01 20:05 ` Remi VANICAT
From: Remi VANICAT @ 2002-02-01 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

stalkern2 <stalkern2@tin.it> writes:

> Hello to everybody
>
> I'm studying the book of Chailloux, Manoury and Pagano and I' m now taking
> into considerations the streams.
> Using a plain ocaml prompt with Ocaml 3.04 on a RedHat box (coming from a
> rpm), I get
>
> # let foo = [< >];;
>                ^^
> Syntax error

parser need camlp4 since ocaml 3.04 (I think)

you have to do

# #load "camlp4o.cma"

before any [< >] expression.

This information is at least in the Change file of the caml
distribution, and also in the ocaml manual :
http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/htmlman/manual021.html
(may be the #load "camlp4o.cma" should be add there)

> I get the same error on a MacOS 9 box, using the standard Ocaml distribution.
>
> I have plenty of expressions parenthesized with [< >] in the source
> distribution, and I learnt that I could optionally use [: :] if I say so to
> Camlp4. But neither [< >] nor [: :], that gives
> # let foo = [: :];;

this is the camlp4 revised syntax.

be aware it change a lot of thing (and not only [< and >])

# #load "camlp4r.cma"
# value foo = [: :];

Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr

* [Caml-list] Développement d'applications avec Objective  Caml... [< >] in 3.04?
@ 2002-02-02  1:47 stalkern2
From: stalkern2 @ 2002-02-02  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello to everybody

I'm studying the book of Chailloux, Manoury and Pagano and I' m now taking
into considerations the streams.
Using a plain ocaml prompt with Ocaml 3.04 on a RedHat box (coming from a
rpm), I get

# let foo = [< >];;
               ^^
Syntax error

I get the same error on a MacOS 9 box, using the standard Ocaml distribution.

I have plenty of expressions parenthesized with [< >] in the source
distribution, and I learnt that I could optionally use [: :] if I say so to
Camlp4. But neither [< >] nor [: :], that gives
# let foo = [: :];;
                ^
Syntax error
is accepted by the copies of the interpreter that I'm using, and I feel stuck.

Should I make a different toplevel giving special indications and links?

Sorry for bothering you. Think that you've (likely) been a beginner also...
once upon a time. By the way, I think that ocaml would be more widespread
than C if it only had 20% of its documentation and ease of consulting; I'd
have never started with it without the book of Chailloux, Manoury and Pagano
(that I thank).

Thanks
Ernesto