* [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] otags reloaded 4.03.1 for OCaml 4.03
@ 2016-09-22 13:46 Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2016-09-22 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I released a new version of otags for OCaml 4.03. You can find it
at the usual place http://askra.de/software/otags/ under the
usual license GPL v3.

Otags reloaded generates tags tables for emacs and vi/vim.

This is a major rewrite. After seeing more and more problems with
camlp4, I decided to base otags on the standard OCaml parser from
the compiler-libs library. Consequently all camlp4 parsing
options and the support for tagging sources in the revised syntax
or with other syntax extensions disappeared now.

There are two more restrictions in this version: Methods and
attributes in class types are not tagged (but the underlying
problem has been fixed already with pull request 749). Finally,
there is no support for source files with line directives.

All in all the rewrite for the parse tree exported from
compiler-libs was a pleasant experience. While the camlp4 systems
was intellectually appealing, the straightforward matching on a
standard OCaml variant type makes otags much simpler now. I could
also flush quite a bit of code that dealt only with problems
inherited from camlp4...

The restriction with line directives is pretty severe because it
excludes ocamlyacc, ocamllex and cppo. I have a plan for this
already.

I am not so sure whether the support for the revised syntax,
quotations or other syntax extensions will really be missed. Any
opinions on that one?

Bye,

Hendrik

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-09-22 13:46 UTC | newest]