From: Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>
To: "lwn" <lwn@lwn.net>, "cwn"  <cwn@lists.idyll.org>,
	caml-list@inria.fr, comp@lists.orbitalfox.eu
Subject: [Caml-list] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 09:43:50 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of October 20 to 27,
2020.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

Bisect_ppx, the coverage tool, now has excellent integration with Dune
Js_of_ocaml in the VSCode OCaml Platform
Training Sessions for "Fast Track to OCaml" and "Expert OCaml" in Paris (23-26 November 2020)
Set up OCaml 1.1.2
Set up OCaml 1.1.3
First release of FSML
Qrc 0.1.0, a QR code encoder
cumulus 0.0.1
Brr 0.0.1, a toolkit for programming browsers
Old CWN

Bisect_ppx, the coverage tool, now has excellent integration with Dune
══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/bisect-ppx-the-coverage-tool-now-has-excellent-integration-with-dune/6634/1>

Anton Bachin announced
──────────────────────

  [*Bisect_ppx*], the coverage tool, has just had its [2.5.0] release,
  in which the main addition is a very neat integration with Dune:

  ┌────
  │ dune runtest --instrument-with bisect_ppx --force
  └────

  This uses the new [instrumentation support] added in Dune 2.7.0, and
  is a considerable improvement over the dubious methods Bisect and its
  users were previously forced to rely on :)

  It is no longer necessary to edit `dune' files for a release, as
  Bisect only becomes a dependency of your project when
  `--instrument-with bisect_ppx' is supplied on the Dune command line,
  which is only during development and in CI. This makes projects ready
  for release from any commit. Dune also now knows to rebuild affected
  files when instrumentation is turned on or off, so you don't have to
  manually run `dune clean' in between. Everything just works the way it
  should.

  See the updated [instructions] for all the details on how to use this
  integration.

  I've also adapted [Lambda Soup] as a simple full-project example. See
  its [`opam'], [`dune-project'], [`dune'], and [`Makefile'].

  Bisect_ppx still supports all the older integrations, so if you have
  an existing setup, you don't have to edit it. Support may eventually
  be removed in the future, however, so I encourage users to gradually
  update.

  See the full [changelog] for information on bugs fixed by the release.

  Thanks to the Dune team for adding `--instrument-with', to @undu for
  supporting it on the Bisect side, and to all the Bisect_ppx users and
  contributors!

  Happy testing!

  <https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/standard11/uploads/ocaml/original/2X/1/1911adc6af898b6f4efd7dc69d2c1f90699031ba.gif>

  <https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx>

[*Bisect_ppx*] <https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx>

[2.5.0] <https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx/releases/tag/2.5.0>

[instrumentation support]
<https://dune.readthedocs.io/en/stable/instrumentation.html?highlight=instrument-with>

[instructions] <https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx#Dune>

[Lambda Soup] <https://github.com/aantron/lambdasoup>

[`opam']
<https://github.com/aantron/lambdasoup/blob/a0cbf54bf9affda00455c54369e473b905458114/lambdasoup.opam#L17-L22>

[`dune-project']
<https://github.com/aantron/lambdasoup/blob/master/dune-project#L1>

[`dune']
<https://github.com/aantron/lambdasoup/blob/a0cbf54bf9affda00455c54369e473b905458114/src/dune#L7>

[`Makefile']
<https://github.com/aantron/lambdasoup/blob/a0cbf54bf9affda00455c54369e473b905458114/Makefile#L15>

[changelog] <https://github.com/aantron/bisect_ppx/releases/tag/2.5.0>

Js_of_ocaml in the VSCode OCaml Platform
════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/js-of-ocaml-in-the-vscode-ocaml-platform/6635/1>

Max LANTAS announced
────────────────────

  I just finished a write-up about [vscode-ocaml-platform]'s recent
  transition to Js_of_ocaml:
  <https://mnxn.github.io/blog/ocaml/vscode-jsoo/>

  I can answer any questions here.

  This is also my first technical blog post, so any constructive
  criticism or comments about my writing would be very helpful.

[vscode-ocaml-platform]
<https://github.com/ocamllabs/vscode-ocaml-platform/>

Training Sessions for "Fast Track to OCaml" and "Expert OCaml" in Paris (23-26 November 2020)
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2020-10/msg00018.html>

Laurène Gibaud announced
────────────────────────

  At OCamlPro, we will be organizing 2 cross-company training sessions
  in French. Both sessions interleave theory and practice. You'll have
  time to ask your specific questions and get personalized feedback on
  your programs.

  • Our Beginner session will allow developers to build upon their
    experience of other programming languages (such as C, C++, Python,
    C# or Java) to program confidently in OCaml. Feel free to share the
    info with your coworkers or your network!
  • Our “Expert OCaml” training will allow you to master OCaml’s
    advanced features such as its type-system, OCaml’s open source tools
    and libraries, and how to write compact and efficient code.

  More info on the program and prerequisites on
  <http://www.ocamlpro.com/training-ocamlpro/> or ask away (answer this
  email or write at contact@ocamlpro.com).

  When? The Beginner session is scheduled for November 23-24, 2020. The
  Expert session will be on November 25-26, 2020.

  Where? Paris 14, in OCamlPro's office.

  How? Register on:
  <https://www.ocamlpro.com/pre-inscription-a-une-session-de-formation-inter-entreprises/>

  We can also organize custom and on-site sessions upon request.

Set up OCaml 1.1.2
══════════════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-set-up-ocaml-1-1-2/6643/1>

Sora Morimoto announced
───────────────────────

  This release contains these changes:

  • Add the Cygwin setup to a known location for later steps
  • Check if the switch exists before creating the switch

  <https://github.com/avsm/setup-ocaml/releases/tag/v1.1.2>

Set up OCaml 1.1.3
══════════════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-set-up-ocaml-1-1-3/6644/1>

Sora Morimoto announced
───────────────────────

  This release contains these changes:

  • Update the `@actions/core' package to address [CVE-2020-15228]

  <https://github.com/avsm/setup-ocaml/releases/tag/v1.1.3>

[CVE-2020-15228] <https://github.com/advisories/GHSA-mfwh-5m23-j46w>

First release of FSML
═════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-first-release-of-fsml/6645/1>

jserot announced
────────────────

  This is to announce the first public release of FSML, an OCaml library
  for describing and describing synchronous finite state machines.

  FSML is a simplified version of the library provided in the [Rfsm]
  package for which

  • the system is composed of a single FSM

  • this FSM has a single, implicit, triggering event (typically called
    the *clock* , hence the term *synchronous* used in the description)

  The FSML library provides

  • a type `Fsm.t' for describing FSMs
    • possibly having *local variables*
    • for which *transitions* , implicitely triggered by a clock, are
      defined by a set of *boolean guards* and a set of *actions*

  • a set of PPX extensions for building values of type `Fsm.t'

  • functions for producing and viewing graphical representations of
    FSMs in the `.dot' format

  • functions for saving and reading FSM representations in files using
    the JSON format

  • functions for performing single or multi-step simulations of FSMs
    and generating trace files in the `.vcd' format to be viewed by VCD
    viewers such as [gtkwave]

  • functions for generating C or VHDL code from a FSM representation
    (for integration into existing
  code and/or simulation)

  FSML is available from [Github] or as an [OPAM package].

[Rfsm] <http://github.com/jserot/rfsm>

[gtkwave] <http://gtkwave.sourceforge.net/>

[Github] <https://github.com/jserot/fsml>

[OPAM package] <https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/fsml>

Qrc 0.1.0, a QR code encoder
════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-qrc-0-1-0-a-qr-code-encoder/6647/1>

Daniel Bünzli announced
───────────────────────

  QR codes are unsightly – a mirror of their specification. But they
  enable all sorts of neat tricks now that scanners for them are in many
  pockets.

  Qrc generate them:

        Qrc encodes your data into QR codes. It has built-in QR
        matrix renderers for SVG, ANSI terminal and text.

        Qrc is distributed under the ISC license. It has no
        dependencies.

  Homepage: <https://erratique.ch/software/qrc>
  API docs: <https://erratique.ch/software/qrc/doc/> or `odig doc qrc'
  Install: `opam install qrc'

cumulus 0.0.1
═════════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-cumulus-0-0-1/6655/1>

Petter A. Urkedal announced
───────────────────────────

  I would like to announce a new FRP library built on the React library.
  The purpose of [cumulus] is to help organize code which work on
  differential updates.  The main type is the *cumulus signal*, which is
  analogous to a react signal, except that information about the
  difference from the previous value is provided to consumers along with
  the new value, when the cumulus signal changes.

  So, why does a cumulus signal provide both the state and the
  difference to downstream signals?  That is, what is the difference
  between the following:?
  ┌────
  │ type t1 = state * change React.E     (* initial value and even of changes *)
  │ type t2 = (state, change) Cumulus.t  (* the cumulus signal *)
  └────
  The former type presumes that after the consumer has received the
  initial state, it will only need to know what changes on successive
  updates.  This seems quite natural.  It works well if, for instance,
  we want to reconstruct a signal holding a set of strings, given an
  initial set and a series of additions and removals:
  ┌────
  │ module String_set = Set.Make (String)
  │
  │ type 'a set_patch = [`Add of string | `Remove of string]
  │ type 'a update = 'a -> 'a
  │
  │ let patch_string_set : string set_patch -> String_set.t update = function
  │  | `Add x -> String_set.add x
  │  | `Remove x -> String_set.remove x
  │
  │ let integrate_strings (init, changes) =
  │   React.E.fold (fun l p -> patch_string_set p l) init changes
  └────
  But what if we want to maintain a signal holding the intersection of
  two sets of strings?  If we try to lift the intersection operation to
  work on patches, we discover that learning about the addition of an
  element to left-hand set is not sufficient to determine whether the
  element shall the added to the resulting set; we also need to know
  whether the element is a member of the right-hand set.  So, in this
  case we would instead use cumulus signals:
  ┌────
  │ let cu : (String_set.t, string set_patch) Cumulus.t = ...
  │ let cv : (String_set.t, string set_patch) Cumulus.t = ...
  │ let cuv =
  │   let init u v = String_set.inter u v in
  │   let patch (u, du) (v, dv) r' =
  │     (match du, dv with
  │      | None, Some x when String_set.mem x u ->
  │ 	Cumulus.Patch (String_set.add x r', `Add1 x)
  │      ...)
  │   in
  │   Cumulus.l2 ~init ~patch cu cv
  └────
  For the complete example, using integers instead of strings, see
  [`test_isecn.ml'] from the testsuite.

  (Footnote: If consumers know how to integrate the states they depend
  on, they could in principle keep their own record of the full states
  of the arguments.  But this would be inefficient if there are many
  consumers, and there is also a simplification of code and possibly
  improved abstraction in letting the producer maintain its own state.)

  Formally, we can understand the difference between `t1' and `t2' in
  terms of calculus.  For instance, the differential of a product
  `d(x·y) = dx·y + x·dy' contains a mix of both the differentials and
  values of the two variables.  But if the expression is linear, only
  differentials will will occur: `d(a·x + b·y + c) = a·dx + b·dy'.  So,
  when `t1' is sufficient, we are dealing with the analogue of a linear
  function.  The above example could be turned into a linear one by
  making `Labels.t' a multiset type and considering the multiset union
  operation.

  Thus far we only considered purely functional code, but a cumulus
  signal may chose to modify and return the same physical state during
  an update.  Also note when designing the differential component of the
  cumulus signal, that we may exploit the fact the consumers also may
  inspect the corresponding new state.  Combining these two points, a
  cumulus signal holding an array might have the type `('a array, [`Set
  of int | `Resize of int])'. Here the state may be reused for ``Set'
  and replaced for ``Resize'.

  On a related not, there is also the [reactiveData] library which deals
  with (linear) patching of containers.

  I must also mention that there there is an [OCaml project with the
  same name] (except casing). Sorry for not checking thoroughly in
  advance. I hope it is not an issue in practise, otherwise there is
  still time to rename while the library is fresh.

[cumulus] <https://github.com/paurkedal/ocaml-cumulus/>

[`test_isecn.ml']
<https://github.com/paurkedal/ocaml-cumulus/blob/master/tests/test_isecn.ml>

[reactiveData] <https://github.com/ocsigen/reactiveData>

[OCaml project with the same name] <https://github.com/Cumulus/Cumulus>

Brr 0.0.1, a toolkit for programming browsers
═════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-brr-0-0-1-a-toolkit-for-programming-browsers/6608/5>

Continuing this thread, Yoann Padioleau asked Daniel Bünzli replied
───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

        What are the differences with the default bindings
        provided in js_of_ocaml to the browser APIs (e.g., js.mli,
        dom.mli, etc.)?

  I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but:

  1. If you are asking about the way API are exposed: `brr' does not
     type JavaScript's objects as phantom types. It simply relies on
     OCaml's abstract data types and plain functions. More about this
     can be found in brr's [FFI manual] and [FFI cookbook].
  2. If you are asking about binding coverage, you should be able to get
     a sense of what is bound in `brr' [here].

  Regarding 2. `brr''s coverage of more recent browser APIs is broader
  and more consistent than in `js_of_ocaml' – Promise support, Fetch,
  Service workers, Media capture APIs, WebGL2, Webcrypto, WebAudio,
  etc. Conversly older APIs supported in `js_of_ocaml' may not supported
  in `brr' (e.g.  XMLHTTPRequest). Besides `brr''s coverage of some of
  the DOM *element-specific* interfaces may be shallower than in
  `js_of_ocaml'. There is however good coverage for the
  [`HTMLMediaElement'], [`HTMLCanvasElement'], [`HTMLFormElement'] and
  [`HTMLInputElement'] interfaces. For the rest the [attribute and
  property API] and the occasional trivial FFI method binding should be
  able to get you a long way.

[FFI manual] <https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/ffi_manual.html>

[FFI cookbook] <https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/ffi_cookbook.html>

[here] <https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/index.html#supported_apis>

[`HTMLMediaElement']
<https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/Brr_io/Media/index.html#el>

[`HTMLCanvasElement']
<https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/Brr_canvas/Canvas/index.html>

[`HTMLFormElement']
<https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/Brr_io/Form/index.html>

[`HTMLInputElement']
<https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/Brr/El/index.html#ifaces>

[attribute and property API]
<https://erratique.ch/software/brr/doc/Brr/El/index.html#ats_and_props>

Old CWN
═══════

  If you happen to miss a CWN, you can [send me a message] and I'll mail
  it to you, or go take a look at [the archive] or the [RSS feed of the
  archives].

  If you also wish to receive it every week by mail, you may subscribe
  [online].

  [Alan Schmitt]

[send me a message] <mailto:alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org>

[the archive] <http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/>