From: Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>
To: yminsky@gmail.com
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] "with module" surprises
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 13:21:52 -0400	[thread overview]

I think the example you gave correctly fails, because you are trying
to specialize a non-existent type rather than augment an existing
module signature.  The name of the type / signature appearing on the
left-hand side of the "with" constraints must exist.

A use case for the intended semantics might be reexporting of functor arguments:

  module Make (Arg : ARG) : S with module Spec = Arg = struct
    module Spec = Arg
  end

It could be bad from a design perspective to lose substructures in
"Spec" which were unknown to "S".

Markus