From: Markus Mottl <markus.mottl@gmail.com>
To: Yaron Minsky <yminsky@janestreet.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] "with module" surprises
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 11:12:34 -0400	[thread overview]

The current semantics seems to make sense to me.  E.g.

  module type M' = sig type t end

specifies that M' needs a type t.  It doesn't say that a module
matching this signature needs to keep t abstract.  You can hence
specialize this signature using "with" to e.g. require that it be an
"int".

Module constraints work similarly.  If a signature is empty, this
doesn't mean that a module matching it must not contain anything,
rather the opposite: any module can match it.  You can again
specialize the signature using "with" to require further entries.  The
module passed to "with" only needs to match the first signature, which
is trivially true in this case.  Its own (possibly inferred) signature
will then specialize the previous signature, potentially adding more
entries.

A maybe more intuitive way to think about this is following: in OCaml
you can only make things more strict, never less strict.  An empty
signature is less strict (can be matched by more modules) than a
non-empty one.  Hence extending it is the right "direction".

Markus

Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com