* [Caml-list] Windows install
@ 2011-04-29 17:50 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2011-04-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I've been trying to install OCaml on Windows Vista using the OCaml 3.11.0
binary (MSVC) install. I have Visual Studio 2010 installed which, I believe,
satisfies the dependencies but I keep getting linker errors. Curiously,
different errors each time I reinstall:

C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
** Fatal error: Cannot find file "libws2_32"
File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
Error: Error during linking

C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
** Fatal error: Cannot find file "C:\\Program Files\\Objective
Caml\\bin\\flexdl
l_msvc.obj"
File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
Error: Error during linking

C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
'flexlink' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
Error: Error during linking

What's the easiest way to get a working OCaml install under Windows ATM?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Windows install
@ 2011-04-29 18:33 ` Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2011-04-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> I've been trying to install OCaml on Windows Vista using the OCaml 3.11.0
> binary (MSVC) install. I have Visual Studio 2010 installed which, I believe,
> satisfies the dependencies but I keep getting linker errors. Curiously,
> different errors each time I reinstall:

I used to build Ocaml from sources on Windows (it's pretty
straight-forward, just follow readme.win32 from Ocaml source
distribution). As for the errors:

> C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
> ** Fatal error: Cannot find file "libws2_32"
> File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
> Error: Error during linking

Looks like you have installed the port based on the MinGW toolchain
(instead of MSVC one). Take the right one from
http://caml.inria.fr/download.en.html

> C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
> ** Fatal error: Cannot find file "C:\\Program Files\\Objective
> Caml\\bin\\flexdl
> l_msvc.obj"
> File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
> Error: Error during linking

Ocaml on Windows requires Alain Frisch's FlexDLL package. Grab it from
http://alain.frisch.fr/flexdll.html

> C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
> 'flexlink' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
> File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
> Error: Error during linking

FlexDLL is missing.

> What's the easiest way to get a working OCaml install under Windows ATM?

Again, I would recommend to build from sources.

- Dmitry Bely

* Re: [Caml-list] Windows install
@ 2011-04-30 16:08   ` Микола Стрєбков
From: Микола Стрєбков @ 2011-04-30 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On 29 квіт. 2011, at 21:33, Dmitry Bely wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:50 PM, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
>> I've been trying to install OCaml on Windows Vista using the OCaml 3.11.0
>> binary (MSVC) install. I have Visual Studio 2010 installed which, I believe,
>> satisfies the dependencies but I keep getting linker errors. Curiously,
>> different errors each time I reinstall:
>
> I used to build Ocaml from sources on Windows (it's pretty
> straight-forward, just follow readme.win32 from Ocaml source
> distribution). As for the errors:
>
>> C:\Users\Jon\Documents\OCaml>ocamlopt test.ml -o test
>> ** Fatal error: Cannot find file "libws2_32"
>> File "caml_startup", line 1, characters 0-1:
>> Error: Error during linking
>
> Looks like you have installed the port based on the MinGW toolchain
> (instead of MSVC one). Take the right one from
> http://caml.inria.fr/download.en.html

It's easier to explicitly specify a path to MinGW libraries by passing
-cclib "-L c:/mingw/lib" to ocamlopt :-)

>> What's the easiest way to get a working OCaml install under Windows ATM?
>
> Again, I would recommend to build from sources.

Only if one need the latest version of OCaml. If 3.11 is enough it's more convenient
to take a self installer.

--
Mykola Stryebkov
Public key: http://mykola.org/pubkey.txt

* Re: [Caml-list] Windows install
@ 2011-04-30 17:37     ` dmitry grebeniuk
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2011-04-30 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Микола
	Стрєбков

Hello.

>> Looks like you have installed the port based on the MinGW toolchain
>> (instead of MSVC one). Take the right one from
>> http://caml.inria.fr/download.en.html

> It's easier to explicitly specify a path to MinGW libraries by passing
> -cclib "-L c:/mingw/lib" to ocamlopt :-)

  It's _really_ easier to use the overbld, which already adds this path
(and not only the MinGW path, but other patches and paths too, and
it already provides comfortable enough development environment,
and it WORKS now.).

  And, sorry, but I have no one to tell this but you...
Микола, не майся дурнею, все вже вкрадено до нас.