* [Caml-list] [ANN] final release of OPAM 1.1.0
@ 2013-11-08 15:35 Thomas Gazagnaire
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2013-11-08 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a while staged as RC, we are proud to announce the final release of OPAM 1.1.0 !

Thanks again to those who have helped testing and fixing the last few issues.

== Important note ==

The repository format has been improved with incompatible new features ; to
account for this, the _new_ repository is now hosted at opam.ocaml.org, and
the legacy repository at opam.ocamlpro.com is kept to support OPAM
1.0 installations, but is unlikely to benefit from many package updates.
Migration to opam.ocaml.org will be done automatically as soon as you upgrade
your OPAM version.

You're still free, of course, to use any third-party repositories instead or in addition.

== Installing ==

NOTE: When switching from 1.0, the internal state will need to be upgraded.
THIS PROCESS CANNOT BE REVERTED. We have tried hard to make it fault-
resistant, but failures might happen. In case you have precious data in your
~/.opam folder, it is advised to backup that folder before you upgrade to
1.1.0.

Using the binary installer:
- download and run http://www.ocamlpro.com/pub/opam_installer.sh

Using the .deb packages from Anil's PPA (binaries are currently synching, see [1]):
    add-apt-repository ppa:avsm/ppa
    apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install opam

For OSX users, the homebrew package will be updated shortly.

or build it from sources at :
- http://www.ocamlpro.com/pub/opam-full-1.1.0.tar.gz
- https://github.com/ocaml/opam/releases/tag/1.1.0

== For those who haven't been paying attention ==

OPAM is a source-based package manager for OCaml. It supports multiple
simultaneous compiler installations, flexible package constraints, and
a Git-friendly development workflow. OPAM is edited and
maintained by OCamlPro, with continuous support from OCamlLabs and the
community at large (including its main industrial users such as
Jane-Street and Citrix).

The "official" package repository is now hosted at https://opam.ocaml.org, synchronised with the
Git repository at http://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository, where you can contribute new packages
descriptions. Those are under a CC0 license, a.k.a. public domain, to ensure they will always
belong to the community.

Thanks to all of you who have helped build this repository and made OPAM such a success.

== Changes ==

Too many to list here, see
https://raw.github.com/OCamlPro/opam/1.1.0/CHANGES

For packagers, some new fields have appeared in the OPAM description format:
- `depexts` provides facilities for dealing with system (non ocaml) dependencies
- `messages`, `post-messages` can be used to notify the user eg. of licensing information,
  or help her  troobleshoot at package installation.
- `available` supersedes `ocaml-version` and `os` constraints, and can contain
  more expressive formulas

Also, we have integrated the main package repository with Travis, which will help us
to improve the quality of contributions (see [2]).

Enjoy !

Thomas,  Louis and all the OPAM team

[1] https://launchpad.net/~avsm/+archive/ppa/+builds?build_state=pending
[2] http://anil.recoil.org/2013/09/30/travis-and-ocaml.html

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] final release of OPAM 1.1.0
@ 2013-11-08 15:46 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-11-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Nov 2013, at 07:35, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@gazagnaire.org> wrote:

> Using the .deb packages from Anil's PPA (binaries are currently synching, see [1]):
>    add-apt-repository ppa:avsm/ppa
>    apt-get update
>    sudo apt-get install opam

A common question I'm getting about this PPA is from Debian users.  Unfortunately, the Debs produced for Ubuntu aren't quite compatible with Debian Wheezy (I haven't tried later versions), and so I suspect the best bet is to wait for the Debian maintainers to propagate an update to the testing repository.

For Ubuntu users who need fixed versions, there is a matrix of OCaml 3.12.1/4.00.1/4.01.0 + OPAM 1.0/1.1 PPAs available that are suitable for automated testing (such as via Travis). See the repo list at:
https://launchpad.net/~avsm

The avsm/ppa is intended to be a stable one that is suitable for day-to-day use with your Ubuntu install, and only updated with major revisions of OCaml or OPAM.

> For OSX users, the homebrew package will be updated shortly.

The upstream pull request at Homebrew HQ is:
https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew/pull/24086

best,
Anil

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] final release of OPAM 1.1.0
@ 2013-12-17 22:35 ` Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2013-12-17 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have updated and submitted the OPAM 1.1.0 Nix package to NixPkgs, the
pull request can be followed here:

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/1393

It should be merged in a day or two.

/Malcolm

@ 2013-12-25 13:00 ` Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2013-12-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Out of curiosity, since this opam 1.1.0 is not backwards compatible with
1.0.0, why is it not opam 2.0.0?

@ 2013-12-26 20:54   ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-12-26 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

It probably should have been 2.0.0, but it was too late in the release
cycle before we gave up on 1.0 compatibility.  Upgrades never work for
the first release anyway :-)

Thanks for the Nix package, I'm looking forward to trying it out!
(and a belated thank you to Mehdi Dogguy for upload OPAM 1.1 to Debian
testing as well).

-anil