* [Caml-list] Set
@ 2004-05-02  8:51 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2004-05-02  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

When the docs for Set say that it presents elements in an "unspecified" order
to "fold" does it, in fact, always present them in increasing order?

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] Set
@ 2004-05-02 10:23 ` Martin Jambon
From: Martin Jambon @ 2004-05-02 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Jon Harrop wrote:

> When the docs for Set say that it presents elements in an "unspecified" order
> to "fold" does it, in fact, always present them in increasing order?

According to the implementation, yes (in fact in decreasing order), but
this does not seem to part of the standard.

Martin

* Re: [Caml-list] Set
@ 2004-05-02 16:57 ` james woodyatt
From: james woodyatt @ 2004-05-02 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On 02 May 2004, at 01:51, Jon Harrop wrote:

> When the docs for Set say that it presents elements in an
> "unspecified" order
> to "fold" does it, in fact, always present them in increasing order?

A note: modules produced by the [Cf_rbtree.Set(E)] functor in my
recently released Cf library deliberately presents elements in an
indeterminate order, so as to minimize the amount of tree rotations
required for set operations constructed from [fold] and [filter].

If you want the elements in increasing or decreasing order, the
functions you want are [to_seq_incr] and [to_seq_decr] (or possibly
[to_list_incr] and [to_list_decr] if you know you're going to want all
of them).

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@wetware.com>
that's my village calling... no doubt, they want their idiot back.