* Re: [Caml-list] what is here the syntax error
       [not found] <545A14BE.5080308@inria.fr>
@ 2014-11-05 12:15 ` Francois Berenger
From: Francois Berenger @ 2014-11-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml >> OCaml List

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] what is here the syntax error
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:14:54 +0100
From: Francois Berenger <francois.berenger@inria.fr>
To: Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@home.nl>

On 11/05/2014 12:45 PM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know this question must be asked on the beginners list but I still did
> not get approved after I left the list.
>
> I try again to learn Ocaml and Im stuck at exercise 1 of the 99 ocaml
> problems.
>
> Here is my solution :
>
> let rec last list =
>     match list with
>       []  -> None
>       [x] -> Some x
>       [_]   -> last [_::t] ;;

Your last line is wrong:
[_]   -> last [_::t] ;;

try to replace it with:
x :: xs -> last xs ;;

--
Regards,
Francois.

* Re: [Caml-list] what is here the syntax error
@ 2014-11-05 12:24   ` Pierrick Couderc
From: Pierrick Couderc @ 2014-11-05 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francois Berenger; +Cc: caml >> OCaml List

> Your last line is wrong:
> [_]   -> last [_::t] ;;
>
> try to replace it with:
> x :: xs -> last xs ;;

Actually, that's the syntax of the pattern mathing that is wrong (but this
would also raise en error) : each case should begin with a '|' (the pipe is
optional for the first line).
i.e. :
match list with
    [] -> None
  | [x] -> Some x
  | _ :: xs -> last xs

Pierrick

Pierrick COUDERC

*PhD Student at OCamlPro / Ensta*

* [Caml-list] what is here the syntax error
@ 2014-11-05 11:45 Roelof Wobben