From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To: "Christoph Höger" <christoph.hoeger@tu-berlin.de>
Cc: OCaML List Mailing <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Constraint Inference of a poly-type variable in a class-method
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:42:30 +0900	[thread overview]

On 2015/12/01 18:31, Christoph Höger wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As a way to work-around my latest scalability issues, I want to attach a
> polymorphic method to a class with this functionality:
>
> let f t = t#s
> val f : < s : 'a; .. > -> 'a
>
> I know I can write:
>
> object method f = f end ;;
>
> and
>
> class x = object method f : 'a 'b . (<s : 'a; ..> as 'b) -> 'a = f end ;;
>
> However, the constraint might be somewhat larger, so I want it to be
> inferred. Is there a way to have the compiler infer a constraint on a
> poly-type variable?

No.
Basically, polymorphic method types cannot be compared, i.e. one type is not more general than another, so you always have to be explicit.
This said, if your problem is that you might be calling more methods of t, you can define a class type:
  class type [‘a] t = object method s : ‘a end
Then you can write
  method f : ‘a ‘b. (‘a #t as ‘b) -> ‘a = f

Jacques Garrigue