* [Caml-list] A small patch for ocamlc 3.12.1 to find reudundant opens
@ 2011-09-16 14:59 Jun Furuse
From: Jun Furuse @ 2011-09-16 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I have written a patch to detect redundant opens in OCaml source code,
which is useful to keep your opened module list minimum. Keeping the
list smaller is good to avoid name space contamination.

You can obtain the latest diff for OCaml 3.12.1 from my repo at
https://bitbucket.org/camlspotter/mutated_ocaml . After cloning, get
it by:

    hg diff -r ocaml-3.12.1-11110 -r redundant_open_warning

After patching, building is as usual:

    make core coreboot world opt opt.opt install # Beware what you are doing!

I have found nearly 150 redundant opens in OCaml source code! You
should check your OCaml code with it, too!

http://camlspotter.blogspot.com/2011/09/redundant-open-module-warning-for-ocaml.html

Jun Furuse

* Re: [Caml-list] A small patch for ocamlc 3.12.1 to find reudundant opens
@ 2011-09-16 16:20 ` Mehdi Dogguy
From: Mehdi Dogguy @ 2011-09-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Furuse; +Cc: caml-list

On 09/16/2011 04:59 PM, Jun Furuse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have written a patch to detect redundant opens in OCaml source
> code, which is useful to keep your opened module list minimum.
> Keeping the list smaller is good to avoid name space contamination.

It looks interesting. Thanks for your contribution ! Can you open a
bugreport on mantis [1] and attach the patch there? so that it doesn't
get lost.

[1] http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/

> […]
>
> I have found nearly 150 redundant opens in OCaml source code! You
> should check your OCaml code with it, too!

Interesting :)

Kind regards,

P.S.: fwiw, I didn't try it (yet).

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

* Re: [Caml-list] A small patch for ocamlc 3.12.1 to find reudundant opens
@ 2011-09-17  5:23   ` Jun Furuse
From: Jun Furuse @ 2011-09-17  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehdi Dogguy; +Cc: caml-list

Done. http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5357