* [Caml-list] writing a very basic plugin system
@ 2012-01-17  0:04 Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2012-01-17  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

What is the best mechanism to write the following basic plugin system?
Plugins should provide two functions, `usage ()` and `handle :
[string] -> unit`, and the main interpreter will receive args of the
form `plugin-name [arg1; arg2; ...]. The problem with the main handle
function below is that it's twice as long as necessary - I should be
able to capture the pattern "if there are 0 args call usage else call
handle" more succinctly. Ideally, I just want to have a mapping of
plugin name to plugin and have the rest of the code handled
generically.

module A = struct
    let usage () = print_endline "usage of A"
      let handle args = print_endline "hello from A"
end

module B = struct
    let usage () = print_endline "usage of A"
      let handle args = print_endline "hello from B"
end

      let handle m args = match (m, args) with
        "a", [] -> A.usage ()
      | "a", xs -> A.handle xs
      | "b", [] -> B.usage ()
      | "b", xs -> B.handle xs
      | _, _    -> print_endline "no such module"

      let _ =
        handle "a" [];
        handle "a" ["1"];
        handle "b" [];
        handle "b" ["args"]

* Re: [Caml-list] writing a very basic plugin system
@ 2012-01-17  2:24 ` Pat Johnson
From: Pat Johnson @ 2012-01-17  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le 17/01/2012 01:04, Martin DeMello a écrit :
> What is the best mechanism to write the following basic plugin system?
> Plugins should provide two functions, `usage ()` and `handle :
> [string] ->  unit`, and the main interpreter will receive args of the
> form `plugin-name [arg1; arg2; ...]. The problem with the main handle
> function below is that it's twice as long as necessary - I should be
> able to capture the pattern "if there are 0 args call usage else call
> handle" more succinctly. Ideally, I just want to have a mapping of
> plugin name to plugin and have the rest of the code handled
> generically.

This can easily be dealt with 3.12 capabilities :

module type Plugin =
  sig
  val usage : unit -> unit
  val handle : string list -> unit
end;;

(* let's assume A and B are declared accordingly *)

let handle m args =
let module Plug = val
  begin
   match m with
    "a" -> A
    "b" -> B
| _-> raise Not_found
  end : Plugin
in match args with
[] -> Plug.usage ()
| xs -> Plug.handle xs;;

Hope this helps,

--
PJ

* Re: [Caml-list] writing a very basic plugin system
@ 2012-01-17  4:09   ` Martin DeMello
From: Martin DeMello @ 2012-01-17  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pat Johnson; +Cc: caml-list

Perfect, thanks! Here's the complete working example (with help from
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/manual021.html#toc81):

module type Plugin =
  sig
    val usage : unit -> unit
    val handle : string list -> unit
  end;;

module A = struct
   let usage () = print_endline "usage of A"
   let handle args = print_endline "hello from A"
end

module B = struct
   let usage () = print_endline "usage of A"
   let handle args = print_endline "hello from B"
end

let handle m ?(args = []) () =
  let module Plug = (val
  begin