* [Caml-list] January 2016 Ocsigen releases
@ 2016-02-01 15:01 Vincent Balat
From: Vincent Balat @ 2016-02-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, ocsigen

We are excited to announce the releases of

Eliom 5.0
js_of_ocaml 2.7
TyXML 3.6
reactiveData 0.2

These releases are the result of many months of work by the Ocsigen team,
and bring a range of improvements.

PPX
Eliom 5.0 comes with a PPX-based language (for OCaml 4.02.x). This follows
our PPX extensions for js_of_ocaml and Lwt. The new syntax is more flexible
than our previous Camlp4-based one, and we recommend it for new projects.
Nevertheless, the Camlp4-based syntax remains available.

Shared reactive programming
Recent versions of Eliom provided client-side support for (functional)
reactive programming. Eliom 5.0 additionally supports “shared”
(client-server) reactive programming, where the reactive signals have
meaning both on the server and the client. This means that the initial
version of the page is produced (on the server) with the same code that
takes care of the dynamic updates (on the client).

Enhanced js_of_ocaml library
The js_of_ocaml library provides additional bindings for established
JavaScript APIs. This includes
* geolocation,
* mutation observers, and
* web workers.
A new JavaScript-specific table module is also available.

ppx_deriving
js_of_ocaml provides a new JSON plugin for ppx_deriving. This can be used
for serializing OCaml data structures to JSON in a type-safe way. The
plugin remains compatible with its Camlp4-based predecessor with respect to
the serialization format.

Under the hood
In addition to providing various fixes, we have improved the performance of
various Ocsigen components. Notably:
* A range of patches related to request data result in measurably smaller
size for the produced pages.
* The js_of_ocaml compiler becomes faster via improvements in bytecode
parsing.
* reactiveData employs diffing to detect data structure changes, leading to
more localized incremental updates.

Community
The Ocsigen team always welcomes your feedback and contributions. Stay in
touch via GitHub and our mailing list!

Links:
Full anouncement with clickable links:
https://ocsigen.github.io/blog/2016/02/01/january-2016-releases/