* [Caml-list] dune has an infortunate tool name collision
@ 2018-12-02 18:05 Hendrik Boom
From: Hendrik Boom @ 2018-12-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

dune is a new packaging tool for ocaml.

Unfortunately, dune is also a Distributed and Unified Numerics
Environment, used for splving partial differential equations:
https://www.dune-project.org/

Should one of the names be changed?

-- hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] dune has an infortunate tool name collision
@ 2018-12-02 18:27 ` Viet Le
From: Viet Le @ 2018-12-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Boom; +Cc: caml-list

But the C++ dune project has no OCaml library. A new OCaml wrapper must be
named differently then:

https://gitlab.dune-project.org/staging/dune-functions

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 at 18:05, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> dune is a new packaging tool for ocaml.
>
> Unfortunately, dune is also a Distributed and Unified Numerics
> Environment, used for splving partial differential equations:
> https://www.dune-project.org/
>
> Should one of the names be changed?
>
> -- hendrik
>

> --

Kind regards,
Viet

* Re: [Caml-list] dune has an infortunate tool name collision
@ 2018-12-04  8:38 ` Rudi Grinberg
From: Rudi Grinberg @ 2018-12-04  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Boom, caml-list

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> dune is a new packaging tool for ocaml.
>
> Unfortunately, dune is also a Distributed and Unified Numerics
> Environment, used for splving partial differential equations:
> https://www.dune-project.org/
>
> Should one of the names be changed?

It's unlikely that dune will change its name again. As you might know,
dune already renamed itself once (it was formerly known as jbuilder) and
we aren't eager to make another such painful transition. We are still
supporting the old name today for backwards compatibility for example.

In any case, these naming collisions are inevitable in the software
world and no new name guarantees that future collisions will not arise.