* [Caml-list] Quick Check like testing for OCaml?
@ 2015-09-13  8:09 Keiko Nakata
From: Keiko Nakata @ 2015-09-13  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am looking for (reasonably matured and hopefully easy to install)
QuickCheck-like property based testing software for OCaml code.

Any information is appreciated!

Best regards,
Keiko

* Re: [Caml-list] Quick Check like testing for OCaml?
@ 2015-09-13  8:42 ` Török Edwin
From: Török Edwin @ 2015-09-13  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 09/13/2015 11:09 AM, Keiko Nakata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for (reasonably matured and hopefully easy to install) QuickCheck-like property based testing software for OCaml code.
>
> Any information is appreciated!

There is qcheck.0.4, quickcheck.1.0.2 and kaputt.1.2 on opam.
qcheck has documentation in the mli, integration with OUnit and quite easy to get started with.
Kaputt also has reducers (to produce smaller counterexamples), and SmallCheck-like enumeration tests.

I haven't tried quickcheck, and haven't found an equivalent to SmartCheck's counterexample generalization [1]

[1] https://www.cs.indiana.edu/~lepike/pubs/smartcheck.pdf

Best regards,
--Edwin

* Re: [Caml-list] Quick Check like testing for OCaml?
@ 2015-09-13 15:52   ` Simon Cruanes
From: Simon Cruanes @ 2015-09-13 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Török Edwin; +Cc: caml-list

There is also qtest (also called iTeML on github) which is a bit
special: it's a testing framework providing unit testing through OUnit,
and simple random testing; its specificy is that tests can be written in
comments within the module to test, so that the code itself has no additional
dependencies or code bloat due to tests. It is very easy to write new
tests, since you don't have to add specific test modules.
It is used, afaik, at least in Batteries and in containers.

I am probably going to work on making qtest and qcheck a bit closer, if
qtest's developper(s) agree.

Cheers,

Le Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Török Edwin a écrit :
> On 09/13/2015 11:09 AM, Keiko Nakata wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for (reasonably matured and hopefully easy to install) QuickCheck-like property based testing software for OCaml code.
> >
> > Any information is appreciated!
>
> There is qcheck.0.4, quickcheck.1.0.2 and kaputt.1.2 on opam.
> qcheck has documentation in the mli, integration with OUnit and quite easy to get started with.
> Kaputt also has reducers (to produce smaller counterexamples), and SmallCheck-like enumeration tests.
>
> I haven't tried quickcheck, and haven't found an equivalent to SmartCheck's counterexample generalization [1]
>
> [1] https://www.cs.indiana.edu/~lepike/pubs/smartcheck.pdf
>
> Best regards,
> --Edwin
>
> --

Simon Cruanes

http://weusepgp.info/
key 49AA62B6, fingerprint 949F EB87 8F06 59C6 D7D3  7D8D 4AC0 1D08 49AA 62B6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Quick Check like testing for OCaml?
@ 2015-09-15 13:09     ` Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2015-09-15 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Cruanes; +Cc: Török Edwin, caml-list, Carl Eastlund

Core_kernel has a recently added quickcheck library.  Carl Eastlund, who is
the main author, is finishing up a blog post describing it, but you can
start with the documentation in this file:

https://github.com/janestreet/core_kernel/blob/master/src/quickcheck_generator.mli

@ 2015-09-15 14:06       ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-09-15 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Minsky
  Cc: Simon Cruanes, Török Edwin, caml-list, Carl Eastlund

> https://github.com/janestreet/core_kernel/blob/master/src/quickcheck_generator.mli
>
> https://github.com/janestreet/core_kernel/blob/master/src/quickcheck_observer.mli

This is very nice.
I hope the library will also get shrinking support, because it not so easy
to do, and important in practice.

@ 2015-09-15 14:21         ` Carl Eastlund
From: Carl Eastlund @ 2015-09-15 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Yaron Minsky, caml-list

Glad you like it.  Our Quickcheck implementation is new and its design is
still somewhat of an experiment, so I can't claim it's a mature library as
originally asked for in this thread, but of course we appreciate feedback
from early adopters.  As Yaron said, I'm writing up a blog post that will
go into more detail about it.

We just had an intern, Daniel Spencer, implement shrinking.  That will make
its way to the public release shortly.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com

--
Carl Eastlund

* Re: [Caml-list] Quick Check like testing for OCaml?
@ 2015-09-15 14:30           ` Simon Cruanes
From: Simon Cruanes @ 2015-09-15 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carl Eastlund; +Cc: Gabriel Scherer, Yaron Minsky, caml-list

I am working on adding shrinking into qtest
(https://github.com/vincent-hugot/iTeML/), and I'm curious about what
design choices you did. Haskell literate mentions

shrink: 'a -> 'a list

to shrink values, but on large counter-examples like large lists, it
might be very slow. I'm trying to use iterators to generate shrunk(?)
values lazily.

Also, do Core users write random generators or shrinking functions
themselves, or do you have a deriver for them? I assume you use "with sexp"
to display counter-examples.

Cheers,

@ 2015-09-15 14:44             ` Carl Eastlund
From: Carl Eastlund @ 2015-09-15 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)