* [Caml-list] Call for Presentations: Compose Conference [New York, Jan 30-Feb 1]
@ 2014-11-22 18:16 Ashish Agarwal
From: Ashish Agarwal @ 2014-11-22 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Compose is a new conference for typed functional programmers, focused
specifically on Haskell, OCaml, F#, and related technologies. It will be
held in New York from Jan 30-Feb 1, and registration is opening shortly.

http://www.composeconference.org/

Below is our call for presentations. We recognize the deadline is tight, so
feel free to submit proposals and ideas on the less-polished side.

Call for Presentations and Speakers.
http://www.composeconference.org/call/index.html

---

The audience for Compose is Haskell, OCaml, or F# developers who are
looking to increase their skills or learn new technologies and libraries.
Presentations should be aimed at teaching or introducing new ideas or
tools. We are also interested in presentations aiming at taking complex
concepts, such as program derivation, and putting them into productive use.
However proposals on anything that you suspect our audience may find
interesting are welcome. The following are some of the types of talks we
would welcome:

Library/Tool Talks — Exploring the uses of a powerful toolkit or library,
be it for parsing, testing, data access and analysis, or anything else.

Production Systems — Experience reports on deploying functional techniques
in real systems; insights revealed, mistakes made, lessons learned.

Theory made Practical — Just because it’s locked away in papers doesn’t
mean it’s hard! Accessible lectures on classic results and why they matter
to us today. Such talks can include simply introducing the principles of a
field of research so as to help the audience read up on it in the future;
from abstract machines to program derivation to branch-and-bound
algorithms, the sky’s the limit.

We also welcome proposals for more formal tutorials for the Sunday
unconference. Such tutorials should be aimed at a smaller audience of
beginner-to-novice understanding, and ideally include hands-on exercises.

The due date for submissions is November 30, 2014. We will send out notice
of acceptance by 10 December. We prefer that submissions be via the
EasyChair website (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=compose2015).
Please suggest a title, and describe the topic you intend to speak on.

Additional information may be included on both your expertise and the
interesting elements of your topic, going on what might be included in a
public abstract. Furthermore, if your abstract doesn't feel "final"—don't
worry! We'll work with you to polish it up. If you want to discuss your
proposal(s) before submitting, or to further nail down what you intend to
speak on, please feel free to contact us at info atcomposeconference.org.
We're happy to work with you, even if you are a new or inexperienced
speaker, to help your talk be great.

—Gershom