From: Anthony Tavener <anthony.tavener@gmail.com>
To: romerun@gmail.com
Cc: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:16:52 -0700	[thread overview]

I saw this as a "user experience report" (as stated), not really asking for
a solution.

The number of different suggestions for how to "install" OCaml has been
quite telling... this is similar to the confusion I find most times I look
for existing libraries: multiple options for similar things with no good
way to tell whats applicable without actually trying them.

People are working on pieces of the "OCaml experience" which are in this
report. I figured the original post was a broadcast in hopes the
appropriate people might glean hints from a fresh user's run through the
rat-maze. If the Norton AV issue is known, and the solution (which I can
agree with) is: kill Norton AV, then maybe some warning for Windows users,
at the site of the binary installer, that this is a known problem and what
the solution is? (Mind you, some people won't have such control over the
machine and have no option but running the local antivirus.) Also, I can
agree that running Linux is an excellent choice... but really, I'm fine
with most of the world running other OS's. Linux becomes like the others
the more widespread it's adoption.

I understand a lot of work has been done to simplify installation, but
sometimes people hit an edge case which sends them spinning into a
nosedive. Ideally a smooth landing can be had regardless of weather
conditions. Some of those edge cases will be found in the wild, by users.

Just my take on it, :)

 Tony