From: Jonathan Protzenko <jonathan.protzenko@gmail.com>
To: Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] How to fail to install Ocaml in 18 steps
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:32:50 +0100	[thread overview]

On 11/15/2011 11:21 AM, Andrej Bauer wrote:
>> I completely agree that it does not have to be that hard.
>>
>> On the bright side, we are currently working hard on improving the
>> Eclipse support for OCaml, and we should be able to release an improved
>> plugin in a few months.
>>
>> We also plan to release Windows installers for the next versions of
>> OCaml, to continue the great work started by Jonathan Protzenko.
> Yes, please don't take my report as whining (only), but just as a user
> experience report, to see how things go wrong.
>
> I think it is particularly hard to get things right because there is
> no single place which describes the correct procedure. Some people
> will start with the Eclipse plugin and won't realize they need to
> install Ocaml separately. Some people will install Ocaml, but won't
> read instructions and won't install Mingw (like my student).
>
> Suppose you do it the logical way:
>
> 1. Install Ocaml.
> 2. Install OcaIDE.
>
> Then you'll still end up installing Mingw and later Cygwin, when
> Cygwin with Mingw selected was all that was needed.
OcaIDE requires Cygwin? I'm not seeing that anywhere on the OcaIDE page...

> The Ocaml web site, or wherever Google sends people who type in
> "install ocaml",  should have _unambigious_ set of instructions. No
> ifs and thens and "Level 1" and "Level 2", and "source code or binary
> installer" and "you need Mingw but you don't really because you can
> have Microsoft stuff as well, and if you want 64-bit then Mingw is no
> good, and there will be further surprises when you get to OcaIDE, we
> lied about Mingw and Microsoft stuff, you will need cygwin anyhow,
> etc."
>
> People expect:
> 1. Install these prerequisites.
> 2. Install this stuff.
> 3. Install that stuff.
> 4. It's working.
> 5. Somewhere at the bottom of the instructions there is a link to
> "alternative ways of installing" and "troubleshooting".
>
> If you make them decide whether they want Mingw or Microsoft right at
> the beginning, it's already a lost battle. If you list installation
> from source code before you list the binary installer, that's a big
> mistake. People who want and know how to install from source will find
> the source code even if you hide it from them. The other 99% will just
> get confused.
So that's one of the pain points that I wanted to alleviate with the
OCaml installer. I (honestly) think it does solve some problems already
by making sure ActiveTcl is installed, and by also installing Emacs if
wanted. I never use Eclipse and I'm more used to the French education
system where Emacs is somehow advocated because of its caml-mode, which
explains the stance I took on Emacs.

What would be an ideal experience in your opinion? Have the installer
prompt the user if he wants to install mingw/msys as well? Please keep
in  mind that the windows installer (at least the one I provide) will
remain based on msys/mingw.

Cheers,

jonathan