From: Gabriel Scherer <gabriel.scherer@gmail.com>
To: Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer@googlemail.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr, Marcell Fischbach <marcellfischbach@googlemail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Linear Scan Register Allocator for ocamlopt/ocamlnat
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:04:46 +0200	[thread overview]

This work is meant to make a compromise between generated code quality
and compilation speed to have good performances in rapid
prototyping/development scenario.

Do you have more precise measurements on
- the relative costs of the successive transformations during native
compilation (including external linking etc.)? Which proportion of
time is currently used for register allocation?
- the performance cost of this new allocator in the generated code? I
suppose the results may vary between different architectures (eg. x86
is probably more sensitive to good allocation decisions than x86_64).