* [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-17 16:34 Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2011-04-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear caml-list subscribers,

As you probably noticed, spam has been on the rise on the caml-list
since it was moved to INRIA's heavy-duty Sympa list server.  The
reason is that we lost one level of spam filtering during the move,
and my Sympa administrator informed me that there is nothing that can
be done about it except restrincting who can post to the list.

Based on the results of a quick poll at the OCaml meeting last Friday,
the caml-list is therefore now in "subscribers or confirmation" mode,
meaning that:

- if you post from an e-mail address that is subscribed to the list,
  the post goes through;
- otherwise, the poster receives an e-mail with a confirmation link
  that needs to be visited before the post goes through.

Of course, to avoid the inconvenience of confirming posts, you can
change your subscription so that it reflects the address you post
from, and/or subscribe multiple e-mail addresses to the list
and arrange so that only one receives messages.  All this can be done
from the Web interface:

Regards,

- Xavier Leroy

* RE: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-17 19:41 ` Jon Harrop
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jon Harrop @ 2011-04-17 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'caml-list'

Thank you. For anyone who is interested, it is worth noting that this
sympa-roc.inria.fr site also has a nice archive of the caml-list that goes
all the way back to Claude Fleurey's e-mail about Caml on AIX from 30th
September 1992!

I've also noticed that Google Groups is no longer archiving fa.caml... :-(

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-17 20:41   ` Joel Reymont
From: Joel Reymont @ 2011-04-17 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On Apr 17, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Jon Harrop wrote:

> I've also noticed that Google Groups is no longer archiving fa.caml... :-(

Are you talking about this?

"Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Apr 24)"

It's trivial to create a caml-list Google Group and subscribe it to this mailing list. It will be a read-only copy.

- for hire: mac osx device driver ninja, kernel extensions and usb drivers
---------------------+------------+---------------------------------------
http://wagerlabs.com | @wagerlabs | http://www.linkedin.com/in/joelreymont
---------------------+------------+---------------------------------------

* RE: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-17 21:11     ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2011-04-17 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Joel Reymont'; +Cc: 'caml-list'

Joel wrote:
> I wrote:
> > I've also noticed that Google Groups is no longer archiving fa.caml...
:-(

> Are you talking about this?

Yes.

> "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This
> message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Apr 24)"
>
> It's trivial to create a caml-list Google Group and subscribe it to this
mailing list.
> It will be a read-only copy.

Groups' fa.caml has archives dating back to 1998. Wouldn't starting new
groups fragment the archives?

Cheers,
Jon.

* Re: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-18 10:57   ` Paolo Donadeo
From: Paolo Donadeo @ 2011-04-18 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 21:41, Jon Harrop <jonathandeanharrop@googlemail.com
> wrote:
>
> I've also noticed that Google Groups is no longer archiving fa.caml... :-(

This behavior depends on the header "X-no-archive: yes" that the mailing
list software adds to each message.

Xavier, could you ask the administrator to remove that header? I consider
Google Groups very useful and I think I'm not alone and, furthermore, I
don't see evil side effects in having another (free) mirror of the mailing
list.

--
*Paolo ⠠⠵*

* RE: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-20 18:05   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2011-04-20 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I just noticed the caml-list's own archive stopped at the end of last year:

http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/index.en.html

* Re: [Caml-list] posting policy
@ 2011-04-20 21:27     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2011-04-20 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)