* (no subject)
@ 2003-02-07  5:23 Nikolaj Bjorner
From: Nikolaj Bjorner @ 2003-02-07  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: checker; +Cc: caml-list

I am pretty sure this is not related to references, but to let-rec.

Try:

let rec f x = x and g y = f y + 1;;

you will see that the type inferred is:

val f : int -> int
val g : int -> int

Now try:

let f x = x and g y = f y + 1;;

this time:

val f : 'a -> 'a
val g : int -> int

You may still be wondering why, of course.
The basic answer (I hope I am not too rusty in this)
is that type inference for polymorphic let-rec is not decidable
(you have to solve a semi-unification problem).
Hence, the "solution" is not to abstract type variables
until all type inference for all
let-rec-and clauses have been analyzed.

So:

let rec f x = x and g y = f y + 1 and h z = not (h z);;

does not type check at all, but again:
let f x = x and g y = f y + 1 and h z = not (h z);;
does work.

Nikolaj

From: Mike Potanin @ 2003-02-07 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Nikolaj Bjorner wrote:

> I am pretty sure this is not related to references, but to let-rec.
>
> Try:
>
> let rec f x = x and g y = f y + 1;;
>
> you will see that the type inferred is:
>
> val f : int -> int
> val g : int -> int
>
> Now try:
>
> let f x = x and g y = f y + 1;;
This is different functions. First "f" defined new function. Second "f"
referred to old function "f".