* [Caml-list] graphics on Mac OS X
@ 2004-08-01 18:24 Michael Benfield
From: Michael Benfield @ 2004-08-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have compiled OCaml 3.08 on Mac OS X. I have X11 installed, including
the SDK with the header files and whatnot. When I configured the OCaml
compilation, it did find my X installation and said it would be using
it and installing the graphics module.

But:

$ ocamlmktop -o mytop graphics.cma
$ ./mytop
         Objective Caml version 3.08.0

# Graphics.open_graph "";;
Exception: Graphics.Graphic_failure "Cannot open display ".

I get the same exception when I try to put it in a file and compile and
run it, whether compiled with the bytecode compiler or the native code
compiler. So I know this isn't much to go on but I really am not sure
what to do from here to get the Graphics to work so if anyone could
point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Mike Benfield

* Re: [Caml-list] graphics on Mac OS X
@ 2004-08-01 18:41 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2004-08-01 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:24:14PM -0400, Michael Benfield wrote:
> # Graphics.open_graph "";;
> Exception: Graphics.Graphic_failure "Cannot open display ".

Does the $DISPLAY environment variable contain the name of the
display?

On my Mac, running in an xterm:

$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

Rich.

PTHRLIB is a library for writing small, efficient and fast servers in C.
HTTP, CGI, DBI, lightweight threads: http://www.annexia.org/freeware/pthrlib/

* Re: [Caml-list] graphics on Mac OS X
@ 2004-08-01 18:43 ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2004-08-01 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Benfield; +Cc: caml-list

Maybe you didn't open X11.app (i.e. launch the X server). Also if you
try to do that from Terminal.app you may need to set the environment
variable $DISPLAY to ":0.0".

By the way you can use dynamic linking, no need to create a new top
level,

 > ocaml graphics.cma
         Objective Caml version 3.08.0

# Graphics.open_graph "";;
- : unit = ()

Hope that helps,

Daniel

* Re: [Caml-list] graphics on Mac OS X
@ 2004-08-02  1:52   ` Michael Benfield
From: Michael Benfield @ 2004-08-02  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

This solved it, thanks. $DISPLAY wasn't set on my machine.

Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for OCaml to use OS X native
graphics stuff rather than X11?

@ 2004-08-03 11:46     ` Gregoire HENRY
From: Gregoire HENRY @ 2004-08-03 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Bonjour,

> Just out of curiosity, are there any plans for OCaml to use OS X native
> graphics stuff rather than X11?

I've make an external implementation of Graphics using Cocoa and Quartz.
It's available here: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~henry/ter/

-- Grégoire Henry

* Re: [Caml-list] graphics on Mac OS X
@ 2004-08-04  2:49       ` Michael Benfield
From: Michael Benfield @ 2004-08-04  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml-list

> I've make an external implementation of Graphics using Cocoa and
> Quartz.
> It's available here: http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~henry/ter/

  Outstanding, thank you. I was kind of considering implementing this
myself and wasn't really thrilled about the prospect. I don't know
Cocoa at all.

I don't suppose there's any way around the need to create a new thread
is there? Possibly by overriding NSApplication's run method?

Mike Benfield